Now that I have started what's next?

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Now that I have started what's next?

Post by kolsen »

Hi David,

Welcome from a fellow VLR driver. It'll be great to have another driver on the track next year!

To add my $0.02

For gearing, I'v run 10/84 and 10/82 - the 84 seems to give a bit more umph out of the corner without having to put a lot of effort into feathering the throttle to keep in on the edge of the powerband, and didn't really notice any loss in top end.

I'v only got maybe 15 to 20 hours on mine, but from what I'v read you should probably refresh the top end after 30 and bottom after 60. The bottom end was designed for higher HP, so it can withstand the 20HP with ease - but don't hold me to that.
https://forums.kartpulse.com/t/rok-vlr- ... ds/3327/28 - read down to Garret Potter's post.

The clutch has needle bearings on the shaft that need to be cleaned and lubed every day on the track, and while the bell is off, probably a good idea to clean the innards as well...

Re the pipe, I think you can do pretty much anything you want to it, the rules I have seen relate to the cylinder and head - no grinding/polishing or coating which would increase the performance. Not sure how any external coating on the pipe would impact performance. A wipe down at the end of each day with WD40 should keep the rust at bay..

I think you can probably get an 11 tooth, but then that's gonna change what you'll need on the backend...

I think Jack and John covered everything else.

I'v only run it at CKRC, but will be heading to Rok the RIO in a couple of weeks, so will probably have more info/feedback after that week...

Keith

elmt1
First Name: David
Last Name: Morris
City/Town: Whitefish

Re: Now that I have started what's next?

Post by elmt1 »

Hello Keith,

I certainly have a lot to learn here and I appreciate your insight. From the way the clutch sounds, I am pretty sure it hasn't been looked at daily. I didn't get my clutch apart before leaving on vacation but will take a look when I get back.

I will go ahead and take the engine to a shop when I get a chance and have them do whatever is necessary.

I am in Spain right now and karting is fairly big here. I have visited one track and a shop, which was helpful to figure out sizes for karting related clothing and equipment.

Thank you!

--David