Snell-FIA CMR-2016 Helmet

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
JStretch
First Name: Josh
Last Name: Stretch
City/Town: Calgary

Snell-FIA CMR-2016 Helmet

Post by JStretch »

I'm looking at a Bell helmet with a Snell-FIA
CMR-2016. The 2019 ASN guidelines say this safety rating is mandatory for drivers younger than 15 years old. I would assume drivers 15 and over can also wear them. Anyone know if this is true? This would be an expensive mistake if I'm wrong.

newson48
First Name: Blake and Mark
Last Name: Newson

Re: Snell-FIA CMR-2016 Helmet

Post by newson48 »

I'm pretty sure it is legal for people over 15 to use as well. This standard is mainly in place to guarantee that helmets are under a certain weight to reduce the risk of injury for kids. The only thing I would keep in mind is that they apparently are built differently to fit the geometry of a child's head, so I'm not sure if the fit would be quite right. This article sums up the differences:
http://www.kartingasia.com/2007/snell-c ... standards/

Mark
Senior Rotax #48

JStretch

Post by JStretch »

Hm. Interesting. My head is apparently child sized so maybe it's child shaped too :lol:. I'm 55 cm and some Bell karting helmets aren't made that small. The KC7-CMR is the one I'm think about. I would only order online with a good return policy though, just in case. I'll check if Joey sells helmets. There's no substitute for trying one on before buying. My old Shoei is a bit of a pig at 3.8 pounds.

pauldeadman
First Name: paul
Last Name: deadman
City/Town: Okotoks

Post by pauldeadman »

Check out Zamp helmets. Good lightweight kart lids with lots of smaller sizes.

JStretch

Post by JStretch »

Thanks Paul.
I've learned that CMR helmets put the face much closer to the visor than adult helmets. I would likely have my nose up against the visor. The Stilo ST5 KRT helmet comes in smaller sizes (down to 54 cm) and is very light, so I'm looking at that one now.

newson48
First Name: Blake and Mark
Last Name: Newson

Post by newson48 »

According to the Bell website, the K1-Pro is available down to XXS or 54. Mark has the Small in Matte black and likes it.
Blake
Senior Rotax #48