Getting into karting - some questions

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Cyruspischke
First Name: Cyrus
Last Name: Pischke
City/Town: Pincher Creek

Re: Getting into karting - some questions

Post by Cyruspischke »

The DD2 really is not competitive with the 6 speed shifters plus you can't do a standing start with it .. you will likely get lapped fairly quickly 6 laps into a 10 lap race if i recall from the last time we had one out. They are not a great race kart and that's why we did not embrace them here at CKRC.. T and T with it is fine but serious racing would likely find you purchasing something different .. you also need the new CIK rear bumper on it to use on our track so make.sure it comes with it.
Thanks for the input Fred, and not to worry I’ve got no delusions of a DD2 being able to keep up with a reasonable 6 speed shifter. There will be another kart that I’ll race with (unless a DD2 class springs out of the ground next year, which seems unlikely).

I am curious why you say they’re not a great race kart though. I can’t see why a field of them wouldn’t produce good racing, and from everything I’ve seen they don’t seem to handle like a brick or be terrible bang for your buck in terms of performance.

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Getting into karting - some questions

Post by Fred »

They are a chassis that is only good for DD2 Racing and can not be adapted to fit any other motor to. Once you have driven one for a while you will find you just want to change more gears. Honestly a good used 6 speed is as cheap and in my opinion more fun .. Standing Starts, higher speed and learning the down shifts are what racing is all about. EDKRA have a few race on a Wednesday evening that you could race with if you wanted to. At any time we normally have at least one or two members own one purely for T and T but most get rid of them within a year or so and get a six speed.