Getting into karting - some questions

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Cyruspischke
First Name: Cyrus
Last Name: Pischke
City/Town: Pincher Creek

Getting into karting - some questions

Post by Cyruspischke »

Hi all,
I'm planning to buy a kart and start racing (or at least participating in TnT's) this fall, but I had a question or two before I started shelling out money in earnest. Normally I'd come out to a race day, ask around and see how everything shakes down but I haven't been able to make it out yet.

First, I was wondering about the class sizes - it seems like the Rotax and B+S 4 stroke classes (I would land in Senior) are well populated. I had some interest in DD2 (a friend of mine offered to sell me his quite new and well maintained CRG for a very reasonable price), however looking at past race results it looks like there isn't really anyone racing DD2's at all (though I understand EDKRA runs them). Is that a fair assessment, or is there a DD2 group hiding out in Calgary? I have driven a DD2, and really liked it, but if there's no one to race with I might as well buy a Briggs or Rotax Max (Sounds a little first world problems, oh no, one gear and only 30hp! How will I cope? lol)

Second, how does licensing work for karting? I see there is a rookie course and test available to download on the website, is completing this all that's required in order to go racing (aside from a CKRC/karting club membership), or is there another component to it?

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to coming out and racing with everyone!

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Getting into karting - some questions

Post by John Kwong »

Hi Cyrus,

The T&T's on Tuesdays and Thursdays are almost as busy as a raceday and have a lot of members to talk to. Unfortunately. the DD2 class has never taken hold here. The group that races them at EDKRA runs their races on Wednesday evenings. If you have no prior racing experience in anything, I would recommend the Briggs class to start. Briggs Senior has a regular grid size of around 20 karts, so there is lots of competition throughout the field.
Second, how does licensing work for karting? I see there is a rookie course and test available to download on the website, is completing this all that's required in order to go racing (aside from a CKRC/karting club membership), or is there another component to it?
Yes, that is basically it. I would recommend attending as many T&T's before jumping into a raceday to make sure you are up to a competitive speed.

We are a friendly club and everyone is willing to help new or potential members out. Let me know if you have any other questions.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Cyruspischke

Post by Cyruspischke »

Hey John, thanks for the reply. Shame about the lack of DD2. I've got some experience road racing, karts are very different but I'm reasonably sure I could manage a Rotax with some practice, but the Briggs is tempting despite having less power. Competition and cost-effectiveness do have their own charm!

I'll swing by on Tuesday and check out the TnT, and start shopping around more for a Briggs or a Rotax. I would drop in for the try a kart session on Saturday, that seems like a great program plus I'd get to drive a Briggs, but I've got a cast on my wrist for another two weeks so that probably won't fly. Perhaps the September session, if I haven't bought something by then.

evannadeau
First Name: Evan
Last Name: Nadeau

Post by evannadeau »

Cyrus, I have experience in various forms of racing as well, and I thought the same, I wanted to go straight for Rotax or VLR. And I do still want a VLR, but I did a try-a-kart and I was really surprised at how fast the LO206 feels. And you really get the chance to learn how a kart chassis behaves as it is certainly very different from a vehicle with suspension.

And then you can add another kart to your garage to run a second class on race day.

Good luck out there. We'll see you on track soon.
VLR #42

elmt1
First Name: David
Last Name: Morris
City/Town: Whitefish

Post by elmt1 »

Good evening Cyrus,

I agree that big classes are the most fun. I have been to a lot of go-kart tracks in the last couple of years and even if it is an arrive and drive race with rental karts, having a big field teaches a lot about passing, getting passed (so I am told ;) ), and running in traffic. Nothing beats the adrenalin rush of a mass start with 30+ or so people.

I haven't ever raced in the LO206 class but I have driven an L0206 at a couple of tracks and have learned a lot from that experience. Since I am new, I could be wrong, but I found that any mistake is very costly. My experience has been that anytime you give up momentum due to over driving, or miss the setup, you pay a pretty big price. One example that stands out is driving in the rain with rain tires. It was eye opening to me to discover that my times were better with slicks on a wet, but not rooster tail wet track, because they didn't bind the kart up even though it feels a lot slower trying to find the right line while staying on the track. For these reasons, I think there is a lot to learn in the 206 class even if you end up moving to another class later.

All that being said, I decided to by a ROK VLR at the end of last year because the performance to cost seemed good. Fields sizes don't appear to be what I was hoping for, but I have hope that there are others like me who have been unable to race this year due to Covid or are waiting on the sidelines for the class to be officially anointed.

--David

kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen

Post by kolsen »

Cyruspischke wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:34 pm Hey John, thanks for the reply. Shame about the lack of DD2. I've got some experience road racing, karts are very different but I'm reasonably sure I could manage a Rotax with some practice, but the Briggs is tempting despite having less power. Competition and cost-effectiveness do have their own charm!

I'll swing by on Tuesday and check out the TnT, and start shopping around more for a Briggs or a Rotax. I would drop in for the try a kart session on Saturday, that seems like a great program plus I'd get to drive a Briggs, but I've got a cast on my wrist for another two weeks so that probably won't fly. Perhaps the September session, if I haven't bought something by then.
Hi Cyrus,

Sorry to be late to the thread - I started running VLR last year, and while the field is currently small - we are growing. I am expecting we could see 8 to 10 consistently next season.

Regarding the Try A Kart - due to Covid we have had to dramatically scale back the number of people we can accomodate, and thus the sessions booked up pretty quickly - an alternate is to connect with Alan Haggerty - he can provide everything you'll need to get on the track, and you get far more track time that Try A Kart - his contact is text/phone (403) 652-8935 and email [email protected]

if you're interested in trying out a VLR before buying I'd be happy to meetup with you for a test and tune night and let you try mine. I'm planning on selling it this fall to build a new one for next year.

Keith
#5 VLR Masters

Cyruspischke

Post by Cyruspischke »

David, Evan, Keith, thanks for your guys input! I'll have to admit I don't know much about the VLR engines, on first glance they seem like a very good cost/performance balance, and it would be great to see a big grid of them! Right now, I've already committed to buying a kart (DD2 with all the fixings, picking it up from Edmonton on the long weekend :D ), however I'm always up for trying something different and right now I have nothing but time, so I'll get in touch with Alan and see if I can't set up something for a test n tune day next week in lieu of Try A Kart.
kolsen wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:06 amif you're interested in trying out a VLR before buying I'd be happy to meetup with you for a test and tune night and let you try mine. I'm planning on selling it this fall to build a new one for next year.
Do you think you could send me some info on the kart? PM is fine, or shoot me an email at [email protected].
I doubt I'll buy a second kart right away to be honest, but basically my plan is to buy the DD2, run a bunch of TnT days with it to get comfortable, maybe do some races in the shifter/open class (place last, most likely :P ), then evaluate from there. It comes with a stand, MyChron, spares, etc, all the stuff I need to get started for a steal of a price, which is why I've elected to buy it rather than a Rotax/Briggs for now, and perhaps next year I'll sell it (or keep it and just get a second kart) and go to a Rotax Max or VLR for larger grids as I start racing more.

Jen and Don
First Name: Jennifer
Last Name: Cheung
City/Town: Sundre

Post by Jen and Don »

Hi there. I also have a DD2, but I will not be racing it. It also was a wicked deal but in hindsight I should have maybe bought a Briggs or possibly a Rotax. They are a handful for an "old" newbie like me.But so much fun. I don't plan on running in any races as maybe later next year, I may take over my son's Briggs and start racing. There is not a lot of time to learn the lines when doing the speeds that the DD2 are capable of. If you are around on the days when I am, I'd like to turn some laps with you for fun. I can't really coach you in any way, as I am not that fast or smooth at it yet. I have hopped in my son's Briggs and it sure makes it easier to actually think about the lines and plan ahead a bit for the next corner

Have fun and we will see you at the track I'm sure. Don Gibson

Cyruspischke

Post by Cyruspischke »

If you are around on the days when I am, I'd like to turn some laps with you for fun.
For sure! I’m planning on picking up the kart this weekend, and should be getting out to some Test n Tunes right away. I’ll probably be the only (other) DD2 out, but if there’s any doubt I’ve also got a bright yellow/black suit.
I have hopped in my son's Briggs and it sure makes it easier to actually think about the lines and plan ahead a bit for the next corner
I actually just did a couple sessions in a Briggs this morning! It was a great way to dip my toes in, there was (and still is) a lot of differences from my touring car-oriented driving style that I’ll need to adjust for and a less fast/busy kart was ideal for that. Likely when I get to racing I’ll jump in a Briggs for at least one season, it was some really good fun.

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

The DD2 really is not competitive with the 6 speed shifters plus you can't do a standing start with it .. you will likely get lapped fairly quickly 6 laps into a 10 lap race if i recall from the last time we had one out. They are not a great race kart and that's why we did not embrace them here at CKRC.. T and T with it is fine but serious racing would likely find you purchasing something different .. you also need the new CIK rear bumper on it to use on our track so make.sure it comes with it.