Fuel supplier

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
JasonL
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Luinenburg
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Fuel supplier

Post by JasonL »

Mark,
What is the cyclohexane testing method? What is the tolerance/variation that the club allows, and do we have a sense as to what level of “contamination” from prior fuel would result in a failed test?

While I suspect it might be a while before I and my family will be finishing in a position where we’d be subject to fuel testing, I’m curious as to how diligent we’d need to be with running the tank down before refilling for a race.

Jason

DaveC
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Cameron

Post by DaveC »

I have no idea what a cyclohexane test is (Mark will answer) but most of these questions can be answered in our supplementary regulations in section 36.2. A lot of words to say the club wants everyone on the same fuel, like tires and engines in many classes.

I find the easiest way to comply with the regs is to just use the spec fuel -- drain the tank before or after practice and put in fuel purchased Friday evening or Saturday morning of the event. Fuel from the week(s) before is 'likely' OK, but DQ's sour my mood so I try and avoid them. I've seen fuel in every kart checked after qualli on occasion, not just top-5.
Dave Cameron
Briggs Masters #12

JasonL
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Luinenburg

Post by JasonL »

...A follow up on ethanol in the Calgary area... I was chatting with one of our PQ folks today, and he mentioned that a certain big box chain sources their gasoline directly from Edmonton, and therefore has ethanol in it, and a another non-major brand has begun adding ethanol in the Calgary area to take advantage of available incentives.

Jason

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

JasonL wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:34 am Mark,
What is the cyclohexane testing method? What is the tolerance/variation that the club allows, and do we have a sense as to what level of “contamination” from prior fuel would result in a failed test?

While I suspect it might be a while before I and my family will be finishing in a position where we’d be subject to fuel testing, I’m curious as to how diligent we’d need to be with running the tank down before refilling for a race.

Jason
Its a long story but we once had a competitor fail with "Spec Fuel" that was down to his plastic fuel tank leaching chemicals from previous fuels ... Once we transferred the fuel to a new tank it passed !

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

Clarification:

The meter we use does not measure cyclohexane, it is supposed to use it as a reference. However, since you can't just walk into 7-11 and buy a quart of cyclohexane, we simply use a sample of fuel from the approved source, zero the meter against it and then check competitors fuel for variance from that sample. I don't know what the allowed tolerances are but I want to say it's in the range of 3-5 units.

I don't know -but I strongly suspect- that differing oil mixes and temperature will have an effect on the readings.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

36.2 The Digatron DT-15 fuel tester will be set at –75 in Cyclohexane. The competitor’s mixed gas and oil must read
zero or negative to be legal (+1 is illegal). This rule does not allow the use of performance additives, only gasoline
and oil may be used.
Spec gasoline the fuel must register +/10 points on the Digatron DT-15 fuel tester after that meter has been zeroed
on that gas as mixed with the specified oil(s) if required by class regulations.
Competitor’s fuel samples will be taken from the kart’s gas tank, fuel line to the carburetor or carburetor bowl.