Throw Aways

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.

Club Championship Drop Rounds

Poll ended at Wed May 12, 2021 1:49 pm

1. The Championship should be amended to count all Races
5%
2. The amount of drops be amended to only 2 (Those that cant do ABS )
5%
3. Leave it as it is with 4 drops
91%

Total votes: 22

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer
City/Town: Calgary

Throw Aways

Post by Fred »

I have been asked by a few members why we operate the Throw Away system in the Club Championship.
These members believe that every round should be counted as a means to get members to race the whole season and feel that a member racing every race should not be at a disadvantage from another competitor having a couple of better results over fewer races.

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Re: Throw Aways

Post by Jackmazury »

Personally I think the drops are almost a must. Not everyone can do every race, and a lot of people are unable to attend the two rounds in Warburg annually. This is before you factor in the almost surely to happen occasional mechanical issues, or DNF's. Ultimately the championship is a plastic trophy, and a presentation slide at the banquet. My vote is to keep it inclusive, and not penalize members for whom it is impossible to attend every round. Championships should be won on who performed the best throughout the season, not who can attend the most races.
Shifter #30

Class Representative

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

I don't see how taking 0 points for four rounds leaves someone who does them all at a disadvantage. We used to have an 8 race championship with two drops, now we have 13 with 4, with the extra two being added due to the Warburg races. We have people who can't make Saturday races, people who can't make Sunday races, people who take off for a month in the summer, people who have broken ribs to deal with, students with exams, etc, etc. I think having the throw away races will net out far more race entries than having none.

Phil

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

As with more than a few aspects of our club, certain institutions within it have come to be through previous trial and error that many newer members do not have the experience or knowledge of the history as to why they came to be. As Phil said, for many years we had fewer races and only 2 throwaways. When we wanted to encourage people to participate in the Alberta Shoot-Out we added 2 more throwaways. This gave the people that wanted to travel an incentive to gain club championship points while not penalizing those who did not want to or couldn't travel. It was the best of both worlds.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Jen and Don
First Name: Jennifer
Last Name: Cheung
City/Town: Sundre

Post by Jen and Don »

All great points in favour of keeping the four drops. I echo them all. Last year was the first season in which we ran every race. It was very hard to do. Now with Carter working two jobs and him wanting to work a lot during summer break, it will be tough to get to every race. It also eases the pressure too if you have damage to your kart. Everyone talks about making the sport more affordable (tire allotments etc.), well I think the four drops allows you to save upwards of $800 if you count entry fee's, extra wear on tires, engine wear , travel expenses (fuel, hotel, meals on the road etc). Don

newson48
First Name: Blake and Mark
Last Name: Newson

Post by newson48 »

Good points made by all!
If we had to count every race, I think we would see less participation. (the exact opposite of the desired effect as stated in the opening post)

If someone has to miss a race (or two or three) for any one of a number of good reasons, they would be out of contention for the championship. That is a disincentive to continue on and finish every race in the season.

As John and the others have said, things are the way they are for a reason. When a club has operated for multiple decades and has implemented various strategies and ideas, eventually the best ideas become standard practice.

It is great to have long-standing members to provide this knowledge!

Blake
Senior Rotax #48