Strathmore Motorsports Park Sim Track Project

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Fubar686
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Mullen
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Strathmore Motorsports Park Sim Track Project

Post by Fubar686 »

Working on un-mashing the curbing. Not sure I have the shape quite right yet but the few I've done feel good to bash in the sim so far. I think I'll have to do these individually in the summer to get them closer
curb1.PNG
curb1.PNG (871.53 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
curb2.PNG
curb2.PNG (640.52 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
curb3.PNG
curb3.PNG (838.12 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
Note the bits of mesh sticking through the new curb will be removed, just the source model poking though for comparison

kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen

Post by kolsen »

This is awesome work Eric - can't imagine how much time you must be putting into this.....really looking forward to seeing a final product....will have to go out and build a system to run it on ;-)

Fubar686

Post by Fubar686 »

Not nearly as much as you might think :lol:

Most of my time has been spent just learning Blender's many tools. Now that I'm "pretty okay" with the curve/array/shrink-wrap tools remaking those curbs into more of a correct shape should be straightforward.

Would be even more so if I hadn't deleted the curve objects while mucking about. Next go around I'll leave them and that'll let me change the shape of all the curbs on the track by modifying a single section.

I only make one tiny section of the curb shape like this, tell it to stick to the curve object and then duplicate it
curb5.PNG
curb5.PNG (280.15 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
Curb4.PNG
Curb4.PNG (293.6 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
Another small update, got the road surface "cutout" and the mesh remade into a nice uniform grid so force feedback can be tweaked easier in the future (I tend to post more stuff on the discord)
road-remesh.png
road-remesh.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 3815 times
And again another small update, Plastic barriers made but not textured yet. Going to have to take some close up photos of a "handful" of barriers to make some variations, probably have to fire off a few emails and wait permission about using ones with logos/sponsors. Since they're moved around season to season anyway may as well take a light liberty in where exactly they're positioned on the sim track. They'll be where you'd expect them to be just not at the exact spot on the particular day photogrammetry source photos were taken. Besides I'm going to "intentionally" reposition them getting overzealous in the kart this season anyway :lol:
PlasticBarrier.png
PlasticBarrier.png (512.84 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
PlasticBarrier2.png
PlasticBarrier2.png (473.81 KiB) Viewed 3544 times

Fubar686

Post by Fubar686 »

I'm no longer allowed to fly my drone, no further work will be done. PM if you want access to a sorta lap able "final" version

kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen

Post by kolsen »

Eric,

To clarify, you are permitted to fly your drone, just not while there are karts on the track.

In our conversation, you referenced the ASN regulations, which are very clear on this matter.

ASN sporting regulation 1.9 reads:

The use of an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone, for any purpose is
prohibited at all times. The exception is a licensed commercial drone operator with a current
Special Flight Operations Certificate and a valid liability insurance certificate (minimum of
$100,000). The operator must obtain permission from the track owner or event organizer before using a
drone. Both the Operations Certificate and valid Certificate of Insurance must be made
available to the track owner, event organizers and Officials. Drones must be flown within the
Transport Canada Regulations. Failure to provide this documentation will result in the drone(s)
not able to be used or flown. Racetrack owners may prohibit the use of drones completely.

It's important to keep in mind that ASN regulations do not only apply to operations on a race day event, but govern many other aspects of our operation, including test and tunes, and Try A Kart.

As you pointed out, we did not have any rule within our supplemental regulations that pertained to drones, so our sups will be updated with the following (pending approval from our insurance provider):

The operation of an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone, for any purpose requires the written consent of the manager. Operation of drones over the track area, while karts are on the track, is prohibited at all times. The exception is a licensed commercial drone operator with a current Special Flight Operations Certificate and a valid liability insurance certificate (minimum of $100,000).

We believe this policy strikes a reasonable balance between allowing the use of drones, insurance compliance and safety of the members.

I hope that you will continue to work and refine the model, as I am sure many people are excited to see the completion of this project.

Any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me.

Keith
[email protected]

Fubar686

Post by Fubar686 »

Unfortunately a day prior to this reply I had sold the drone. I had bought it for a singular purpose and when instructed to cease operations it no longer had one for me.

If another member has a drone they'd lend me to take source photographs (249g or less, no UAV licensing) I can continue, personally I don't think I'll be investing in another one as it spent 99.8% of its life in the case.

Eric Mullen

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

Another case of excessive rules and regs killing a good thing for club members. Add this to electric bikes/scooters and bringing your friends to the track to drive your kart.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter