Leader-board

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Jen and Don
First Name: Jennifer
Last Name: Cheung
City/Town: Sundre

Leader-board

Post by Jen and Don »

I would like to start a chat on what it would take to move the leader-board off the tower and have it placed out in the in-field? I know there is some trenching involved in order feed the cables to it, but is it an almost impossible task? The big area in front of the timing tower would allow virtually everyone to see it from all the stands all the way down west to the Trim's setup. It would help the timing gals as they could see when it is not functioning properly as well.
Again, I am not sure of what extent of cables need to run out there ( 120v supply, tech cables etc.) There maybe a smaller version of a directional boring tool that is run by compressed air that is available at a rental shop? Or so I heard. This would allow us to go under the track in the two area's needed.( the two sections of track leading to and from tic tac toe) The trenching machines they rent can fit in a small trailer and that part of the task could be done in a few hours. Not sure what size conduit is already under the pit exit/entry and the main straight ? If that could be utilized?
Also not sure what kind of structure would be required to prop up the sign but it was noted we have some large poles out in the grassy area by the pond. I know it took a lot of work to place it where it is now, and I appreciate that.
I personally would volunteer some time to make this happen. Maybe a small fund could be set up for those wishing to donate $ instead of time?

Anyway, just thought I throw it out there. Maybe I stirred up a hornet's nest but it sure would be a "nice have".

Don Gibson

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Leader-board

Post by Jackmazury »

It would be cool to have a timing board out there similar to EDKRA from a spectator perspective I agree. There are a few benefits to where it is right now however. Going CW it is very easy to see if you need to complete another lap in qualifying and CCW it is very visible prior to turn 3 for the same reason. I like this aspect of it being mounted on the tower.

On another note as ridiculous as it seems, putting a pole out in the outfield may not be as safe as we all think. As difficult as it may seem to end up in center field, I have seen it occur on more than one occasion. This occurs particularly often in kid kart for some reason where I assume kids get the pedals mixed up.
Shifter #30

Class Representative

Jen and Don

Post by Jen and Don »

Thanks for your response Jack! Always good to hear from others.
There is no doubt that we would have to place tire barriers around it as I too have seen karts end up in this area. The good thing about this hazard, is it would be so far from the track compared to other possible contact hazards that are right next to the track ( marshal posts) . Most karts would be under control before striking this or be going very slow after running 30-40 feet of grass. Basically put it where the Trim's had their company fire truck during North of 49.
Yes it would be more for the spectators and other participants that aren't in the race but want to see who is leading who. I'm sure having it in the infield would still allow drivers to see it at a glance from many angles but I guess I am thinking of it more for the people who aren't on the track.

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

I would also suggest that if a change is being made, to see what it would take to add more places to the board.

Jen and Don

Post by Jen and Don »

That way I might even see MY number up in lights for once! :lol:

jash
First Name: Jeremy
Last Name: Ash

Post by jash »

On the trenching, from my time working on replacing the timing cable this year, there appears to be a 4” pipe laid all the way to the infield where the timing loop is. We only used it to the near side of the track but it appeared to keep going.

I would imagine erecting the structure in the infield to hold the signs with the winds we see would be challenging.

Jen and Don

Post by Jen and Don »

Well that is good about the available conduit in those two area's.

And yes, there will have to be some thought given to the wind loads on the structure. By looking at a old photo, i'd say the board is just over 2-1/2' wide by about 11-12' tall?

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

From what I remember there is only a pipe or conduit going across the main straight at the Start/Finish line. We missed our opportunity when the track was built to place tubing across to the middle of the track where the Gentlemen Plumber's Firetruck was placed as the gravel bed with the larger rocks had already been placed.
To give spectators from the public scoring access, I had lobbied the club to switch to Race Hero from Race Monitor as there is no subscription cost to users for Race Hero. 99% of people have a phone and would be able to see scoring of everyone on track. Whichever app we use could be advertised around the track facility and negate having to move the scoreboard.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Jen and Don

Post by Jen and Don »

I agree John that everyone has a phone to access to apps that update who is beating who. But sitting in the stands, it was surprising how many were actually looking
at the board during the race rather than their phones. Sometimes the glare of the sun makes it hard to see the phone screen, sometimes the feed isn't so great at the time for cell signal. But I am not trying to make a whole lot of work if the majority is thinking it's a waste of time. That's why I asked for feedback from others. I appreciate all of the comments. If this goes nowhere then that will answer my inquiry. Just thought I'd put this out there over the winter so the forum has some fresh topics.
Don

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

The public generally does not even know about the Race Monitor App and may balk at paying $7 for an app that they might use once vs the hardcore karters and their close supporters that pay for the app without a second thought. I think efforts put toward signage showing that LIVE scoring is available is a better option and the race fans can see scoring that has names, numbers and lap times of the competitors

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/