New to Karting

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
spencer
First Name: Spencer
Last Name: L
City/Town: Calgary

New to Karting

Post by spencer »

Hello, I recently decided to get into karting and have gotten a Briggs and Stratton kart that is set up for senior. I am a Junior and am wondering what I need to modify on my cart to convert it to Junior? I think you need 6 inch tires instead of 7.1 inch. Also, I believe you need to change the throttle slide. On the overdrive website it says Junior 1 and Junior 2 Throttle slide and I don’t know the difference. Please Help.

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Re: New to Karting

Post by Jackmazury »

Welcome to karting! The max rear width on JR2 is 50 inches, and does require a 6’ wheel/tire combo. It’s worth looking first at what size is currently on the rear as there was a period where SR ran the 6’ tire as well. JR2 also uses the gold slide.
Shifter #30

Class Representative

spencer

Post by spencer »

Thanks for the help. I am just wondering what is the difference between JR1 and JR2? I am currently running 7.1 inch tires on the back. Does that mean I am good for tires in Junior?

Jackmazury

Post by Jackmazury »

JR1 is the cadet kart. So it uses 4.6 tires on all 4 corners. JR2 requires the 6’ tire.
Shifter #30

Class Representative

spencer

Post by spencer »

So I need 6 inch tires on the rear to convert it to Junior?

Jackmazury

Post by Jackmazury »

Correct. To the best of my knowledge you need a 6’ wheel as well. And then the maximum rear width from outermost edge of the wheel to the other wheel is 50’.
Shifter #30

Class Representative

spencer

Post by spencer »

I am not sure what size wheel fits the 6 inch tire?

Jackmazury

Post by Jackmazury »

You can stretch it onto a 7’ wheel, but I believe junior requires the 6’ rim regardless along with tire. Under downloads there is the supplemental regs and ASN technical book. You can refer to those to confirm. Hope that helps.
Shifter #30

Class Representative