2023 Club Supp. Regs

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Andy
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Goddard
City/Town: Calgary

Re: 2023 Club Supp. Regs

Post by Andy »

Good Morning Everyone
First of all when my son and I got in to racing at CKRC we were welcomed with open arms by all.
Everybody that we meet at kid kart were amazing that goes for everybody who are still in the club in cadet and other classes
as well as members that have left the club.
We were told that there is were kind of bench marks for time on the long black and purple slides to be able to move up to test and tune nights.
which my son went out and worked his tiny little buns off to meet these times as he did not want to be a hazard on the track.
It also gave him the drive and determination to be quicker so he could go Racing.
This should be the case for all classes and drivers, if you want to race you should have to do T&T nights until you are with in the 107% rule.
This should not put the new comers off from racing as it is a tool to help them be quicker and safer to everyone on track.
Im sorry if people dont like that safety is top priority, as in most of our careers we all have to follow health and safety rules if we like them or not,
we should not take safety for granted

The other thing i want to touch upon
when we joined the club through the try a kart program we were welcomed with open arms which we loved and had not experienced any thing like it.
We tried karting as we wanted to get out of the hockey world due to politics as it is so bad.
What surprises me is just how bad the politics are getting in this club which is not cool.

My son surprises me all the time he doesnt care who you are and what class you are in he will talk to everyone and as far as i know he is very well liked in the paddock and seeing how hard he works at karting and makes sure people are OK and makes new comers welcome I decided to become class rep for the Cadet class and I take safety very serious as I have to every day at work.
So if its intended to make the club and all participants safer then im all for it

It is of my personal opinion that there are people that dont like change but have not and are not willing to give the change time to prove that change may or may not work.

Please Lets not throw stones as it is not respectful so lets put all of the other stuff away and lets have fun.
Also all of the executives are all volunteers and put so many hours in on a daily basis which takes them away from their families and it is not fair that we keep taking more and more of their time and expecting them to drop every thing just to answer an email,text or phone call.

tay
First Name: tay
Last Name: v

Post by tay »

"Unless you can provide evidence of mechanical or other issues that have impacted your ability, (and a solution) to qualify at 107% then E.I.R.C you will no longer participate in any on track event for that event and you shall forfeit your fees for that event. "

No opinion on the 107% requirement but it seems a bit harsh to kick them out and not refund race fees given their day's just been ruined plus they'd have spent a bunch of $$ on gas and given up their weekend to get out to the track. Not to mention they're probably rookies and the embarrassment of getting booted seems penalty enough.

Jen and Don
First Name: Jennifer
Last Name: Cheung
City/Town: Sundre

Post by Jen and Don »

I want to add my two cents in this conversation.

When we started in 2018, Carter had only experienced quad and dirt bike riding as a past time. He seemed to take very quickly to running laps safely and eventually over time, knocking his lap times down. Even though we could have probably entered him in races earlier than we did, we decided to keep practicing and pushed on for as much seat time as we could. Its in the parents best interest to make sure their child is ready. It's a lot different just doing laps by yourself then when your out there without upwards of 20 others in race mode. We were aware back then that he needed to be within a certain striking distance of the grid so that he didn't create a hazard for all those on the track with him. This in no way made us feel that the rule was unfair or discriminating. Why would you as a parent, want it to be any other way. Would you want your kid who has played house league hockey to be out on the ice with full contact AAA players?

As it was stated before, this is a unique sport. A more dangerous sport than many others when you consider what can happen when an inexperienced driver is put into a situation that is way beyond his capability at the time.

Just because you laid out all this money for a kart and gear doesn't make your child ready to compete. You actually might find that your child is ready to quit because too much pressure was put on them to perform above their comfort zone. It can be very scary to be involved in a wreck, and if was caused because the person wasn't ready to be racing, you might find yourself posting everything you recently bought, in the pages of the classified section of this forum.

I suggest to all parents who have kids getting into this sport, put on a helmet and take part in a Try a Kart session and see what it's like from behind the steering wheel. I believe you would have a lot more respect for what it takes to navigate one of these around the track. I have seen many adults humbled by the experience at Try a Kart.

Don

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

The reason race day fees are not refunded is not mean spirited, it has to do with insurance. Once you have done a timed lap, fees are not refundable. This can be due to a motor blowing or whatever.

Lap times are available to everyone and if you are not better than 107% in practice then you need a bit more practice before you enter a race. Don't wait too long though; racing is the best way to improve your lap time but the 107% rule is a benchmark to let you know when you are ready.

tay wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:32 pm "Unless you can provide evidence of mechanical or other issues that have impacted your ability, (and a solution) to qualify at 107% then E.I.R.C you will no longer participate in any on track event for that event and you shall forfeit your fees for that event. "

No opinion on the 107% requirement but it seems a bit harsh to kick them out and not refund race fees given their day's just been ruined plus they'd have spent a bunch of $$ on gas and given up their weekend to get out to the track. Not to mention they're probably rookies and the embarrassment of getting booted seems penalty enough.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

I don't see a problem with the 107% rule in any way at all. I do agree with Tay, that perhaps a credit could be issued for a first offence- get better, and come try again. The reason for the 107 is that it takes a lot more awareness to drive in a race situation - especially being lapped, possibly by multiple karts at the same time, than it does to just do laps. Once the driving becomes natural, and instinctive, and not requiring specific thought, it opens up the awareness to be able to deal with the other stuff going on. If there are outside factors, such as weight, I am sure those can be taken into account, if the driving appears to be safe. We have all seen many close calls with lapped traffic, in all age groups, and fortunately I can only recall bent parts, and hurt feelings, but the potential is high for it to be worse if they are not prepared. An on track rookie orientation could help calm some nerves before entering a race, but I don't know that we have the track time, or volunteer base to do these regularly enough to deal with all the new drivers throughout the year. If someone is having difficulty getting up to speed, there are many willing individuals to provide a helping hand, advice, and encouragement. Don't be scared to ask for help!

Phil

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

The non club members being eligible for the club championship points was listed specifically as EDKRA members being eligible in the 2018-2022 supp regs, on the agreement that they would do the same, which may have happened in 2018, but was definitely not that way last year, or this year, so I think it was fair to remove that clause.
Als0, the term "club championship" kind of implies club members.

The 107% rule was in place in 2022 supp regs for cadet, and I believe has been there since around 2011-2012

Phil