Can i use a bike pump + tire guage to inflate go-kart tires?

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Yeetmarcus
First Name: Justin
Last Name: Mosca
City/Town: Vancouver

Can i use a bike pump + tire guage to inflate go-kart tires?

Post by Yeetmarcus »

I'm compiling a list of all tools I would need in my first year of karting. I have seen online most people use an air compressor, but to save money couldn't I just use a bike pump (which inflates up to 100psi) to fill go-kart tires (8 to 15 PSI) and use a tire gauge to get the psi where I want it?

JasonL
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Luinenburg
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Can i use a bike pump + tire guage to inflate go-kart tires?

Post by JasonL »

Yes you could. If you’re talking about a manual pump, it would get old pretty quickly.
There are two spots at the track where there are air chucks connected to compressors, and you could just bring your tires and inflate them.

Most of us that don’t have compressors in the paddock would do that or be using portable battery-powered compressors or an air tank that we’d fill from the shack and take back to our spot.

Leave the manual pump at home.

You’ll want a gauge that is fairly precise. Something that rounds to just the nearest PSI - or even half PSI - isn’t quite good enough when you’re inflating to the low teens.

It’s always great to hear from new members. Don’t hesitate to reach out with any other questions.

See you next year.

newson48
First Name: Blake and Mark
Last Name: Newson
City/Town: Calgary

Post by newson48 »

I agree with Jason. A bike pump is not ideal. A 5 gallon air tank is great and you can fill it at the track. You will be able to top up 4 tires in mere seconds.
Princess Auto and similar are places for that. You will want at least a 4-foot hose and a decent chuck. One of the coiled hoses are good.

Also, for a gauge you will want something that is meant for racing. 0-30 psi is a common range. Also, if it has a bleed button on it, that is useful. We invested in a Longacre racing gauge over 20 years ago and it is still going and is still accurate. $65 USD on their website. You will never regret getting the right tools!
2023-09-27_213736.jpg
2023-09-27_213736.jpg (13.29 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
2023-09-27_213007.jpg
2023-09-27_213007.jpg (14.3 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
Senior Rotax #48

Yeetmarcus
First Name: Justin
Last Name: Mosca
City/Town: Vancouver

Post by Yeetmarcus »

thanks!!