Vimy Ridge Memorial Bench

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
kart33
First Name: brian
Last Name: grant
City/Town: calgary

Vimy Ridge Memorial Bench

Post by kart33 »

Remembrance Day, A Tribute to the Greatest Generation.
There is a beautiful steel bench that sits in our Pre-Grid area that commemorates the World War 1 battle of Vimy Ridge, April 9-12, 1917. The Battle of Vimy Ridge was the first time all four divisions of the Canadian Expeditionary Force participated in battle together. This battle, with the defeat of the German forces became a Canadian national symbol of achievement. The victory came to symbolize a 50 year old Canada, coming of age as a Nation. As we know, freedom carries a price, 10,600 Canadians were killed on that ridge and are buried in France, part of the 61,000 Canadians to die in that war.
That bench is a reminder for me of the price of freedom. I am so glad that the majority of our racers live in a mostly peaceful world now. We will always have conflicts such as we see in Israel and the Middle East, and we hope for moderation there. I grew up in the 1960's turmoil and assassinations, with stories of World Wars, Viet Nam and the Nuclear threats.
My grandfather, William W. Grant was in the signal corps in both World Wars. He was an engineer, he built CFCN radio station in Calgary in the 1920's, which expanded to become the CTV tv station. He was a pioneer in wireless communications with forest patrol planes in High River, which changed the way military planes were used in World War 2. My father, W.E. Grant also served in the signal corps in W.W. 2.
His youngest brother, Flt. Lt. Duncan Marshal Grant was a fighter pilot based in England. He was featured in a National Film Board story “the train busters”, He flew over France, destroying the locomotives of German supply trains. He was downed by flak, and is buried in France. My family was based in Watrous, Saskatchewan at that time, and the province named remote waters in the name of their lost soldiers. There is a Grant Bay in Northern Saskatchewan. In the 1960's my father and older brother flew there by bush plane, with a canoe, they found the spot and hand drilled a metal plaque to the rock wall in his memory. Years later my twin brother, and his son made the same trip with another plaque, and an electric drill, the original plaque was still there, now there are two. Lest We Forget is more than an expression, for the Greatest Generation it is our duty.
The Vimy Ridge bench was donated by Patrick Boschman and Reinaldo Verala a few years ago. It welcomes all who desire a sturdy place to sit. It asks nothing and stands in silent vigil 24 hours a day, summer or winter. Like those that it represents, it can not speak. We must speak for it and honour those long silent voices, in two World Wars, and more, for the freedoms that allow us to enjoy such pursuits as racing, and living our lives to the fullest. On the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month we remember with our own moment of silence. We wear poppies on our lapel to remember that sacrifice, and to support present day military veterans. It is the least that we can do, they did the most that anyone can do, we can not repay them for that, just thank them by honouring their memory.
Canadian Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae said it best in his poem “In Flanders Fields”:
In Flanders fields the poppies blow, between the crosses, row on row, that mark our place;
And in the sky the larks, still bravely singing, fly scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead, short days ago we lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, loved and were loved,
and now we lie in Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with foe: to you from failing hands we throw the torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die, we shall not sleep, though poppies grow in Flanders fields.
John McCrae, poet, doctor, soldier. He died of pneumonia in January,1918.
- Brian Grant