2023 season - tire regulation

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
pauldeadman
First Name: paul
Last Name: deadman
City/Town: Okotoks

2023 season - tire regulation

Post by pauldeadman »

If you are staying in or joining junior rotax for the 2023 season I’d like to propose a tire regulation of 5 sets for the season like senior rotax run. Unfortunately this season wasn’t governed by this agreement and a lot of money has been wasted chasing wins.

George will not be racing next year so the role of class rep is open for whoever wants it.

Good luck
Paul

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury
City/Town: Calgary

Re: 2023 season - tire regulation

Post by Jackmazury »

Just a note, there isn’t a rule in Sr at present. I think it is likely we see one return next season however.

I fully agree with rules like this. We are club karting at the end of the day, this is an easy way to save half of a tire budget every season (300x6=$1800). This is no small chunk and would cover a full engine rebuild in the off-season and then some even possibly.

The shifter class as well as sr max have a gentleman’s agreement to run the same set of tires for two days, no reason jr can’t do the same. If this requires a rule, we have a scanner and it’s easily enforced. Further to this, if you go to Nationals the only two classes that get more than one set of tires for the weekend are the ROK GP and Shifter on the levanto. Everyone else gets one set to last the weekend and tire management is paramount. This is the same for WCKC. Doing new tires daily disadvantages a driver who travels to these races if they are only used to running on new slicks.
Shifter #30

Class Representative

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

I definitely agree there should be a maximum. I also think five sets should be quite manageable. It's not quite two/ weekend if you do all 11, so a choice would have to be made to possibly conserve at some point, but I'm quite sure the tires will do three races in the CCW direction quite easily. I got 4 race days on a set of D5's, which are way softer, but I'm also slow. It will help teach throttle control also. The tires are literally the same pace from the second session on track to probably the twelfth, with about a tenth or two to be gained in the very first session. It may be the drivers/ parents will want 6, but a clear maximum would be good either way. There's way better things to spend the money on.

Phil

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

I would like to see ALL classes (except Shifter) have 4 sets per season .... 16 tires that you can manage and swap as needed for the year. We have the technology to manage this.

Need another set ? Last Place Points in all races of the next event which must be counted in the Championship.

GobSmacked2021
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Venner

Post by GobSmacked2021 »

Hey all. Julian will be racing Rotax Jr next season - and we’d be on board for a maximum tire set restriction! Sorry to hear George won’t be racing Paul, Julian was looking forward to getting into the same class. Ken

pauldeadman
First Name: paul
Last Name: deadman
City/Town: Okotoks

Post by pauldeadman »

Hi Ken,

He’s too old :( just a little guy at heart lol

Wanna buy his rotax? Let me know 4039705072

Cheers
Paul

jash
First Name: Jeremy
Last Name: Ash

Post by jash »

We are also starting in rotax junior next season and are in favor of a 4 or 5 set limit for the season.

Who’d like to be class rep?

[email protected]
First Name: Davin
Last Name: Skeen
City/Town: CALGARY

Post by [email protected] »

100% on board with 4 - 5 sets per season.

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

It sounds like most, if not all, are in favor of a limit on tire sets, so I think the big question is should it be 4 or 5?
The next question would be who would like to be class rep? I was thinking maybe Pat Boschman?

GobSmacked2021
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Venner

Post by GobSmacked2021 »

Hey there. My son Julian Swanson #251 plans to race Jr Rotax this year. Wonder if anyone has thought further about the max set of tire restriction? Ken Venner