Track Modification Survey

This is a temporary forum to be used for all topics related to the new track and it's construction
Nathan B
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Bartley
City/Town: Calgary

Track Modification Survey

Post by Nathan B »

Members, Please take a look at the survey options below, and post in this forum your responses. I will total them here, this allows us to verify the votes, you can post for other members as well, just write their name and what they vote for. Example Survey 1) A, Survey 2) B, Survey 3) B. This is for information gathering only and does not commit the CKRC to any course of action.

The vote is on potential modification of the track, we are trying to determine if the majority are in favor of a modification, and if that same majority agrees with the modification proposed. The other option we are considering is how high of a priority this work is. Does the membership feel it is worth sacrificing other projects around the track, and do we want to risk delays in running, potential workmanship problems, and further repairs/delays. Or should it be put off until time and budget is more readily available.

So far there have been two modifications proposed, one to adjust the hairpin to the line shown below, and a second to add a link that will aid the TAK/Kid Kart/ Race Restarts. Both these modifications are fairly simple paving jobs, as the quotes come in I can update the costs here, but both could be accomplished with a few days work. In each case there is a risk of workmanship, weather delay, cost overrun ect… this must be considered when you vote. Paul Cooke has been contacted and would not require that our track be re-certified after these mods, so that will not be an issue.

Also consider the cost ramifications of your vote, the club only has so much money, so voting for both the TAK connector and Hairpin Mod is a significant budget (Probably $20,000-$30,000 Range), and may need to see other track work bumped or require that we hold off until funds are guaranteed.

Also added an option to propose another modification. If this is a high priority for you, please be prepared to present your modification, and do all the leg work required to get budgets, and prove majority membership support, please don’t just start throwing ideas out for the sake of it, or this will never end.

Survey 1- Potential track Modification

a. Option 1 - Try A kart Connector Only
b. Option 2- Hairpin Track Mod Only
c. Option 3- Both Hairpin Mod & TAK Connector
d. Option 4- Neither, save the money for other projects
e. Option 5- Propose other modification.

Survey 2 – Time Lines

a. Are you open to closing the track for 2-3 days to complete these early season, as well as potentially pushing off other work/budget expenditure planned for this season. There is risk here that construction delay causes an extended closure and reduce your running time.

b. Do you prefer to wait until after the season/next season to complete the work, the risk is potentially higher pricing.

Survey 3 - Priority- Please review the current committed project list below and decide.

a. The Track mods should bump other committed projects
b. The Track mods should only be completed once these listed projects are done, or more funds are available.

Current Budgeted Improvements
1) Bathrooms
2) Marshall Lighting System
3) Build a BBQ Shack
4) Pit Runner Expansion
5) Curb Expansion/Lengthening on several Corners
6) Stormwater Pond Project ( Cannot be bumped)
7) Seacan Drywalling (Cannot be bumped)
8) Crow’s Nest Finishing

Nathan B

Re: Track Modification Survey

Post by Nathan B »

Here are the proposed modifications
Attachments
Track Modification Survey.jpg
Track Modification Survey.jpg (466.65 KiB) Viewed 8157 times

Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

Here is where I will post the results. Starting with my own. 1)c , 2)a, 3)b

Survey 1
a)
b) 1
c) 1,1
d) 1,1,1
e) 1

Survey 2
a) 1,1,
b) 1,1,1,1

Survey 3
a) 1
b) 1,1,1,1,1,1

Counted up to Steve O
Last edited by Nathan B on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mariogim
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Gimenez

Post by Mariogim »

I vote for option B.

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

I would vote:

1) c (or d)
2) a
3) b - another point to note is the potential need for repaving- will have to be done at some point, whether it is this year, or two or three years down the road. Do we know what repaving will cost?

I would also like to say that we definitely need to look at the safety of both proposed changes with respect to run-off area in the hairpin, and a potential launching point with the TAK connector.

Also, you had mentioned the work could likely be done in a day, so there shouldn't be much risk in extended closures, as the work can be delayed if weather is not favorable, and just move the closure date to the next available date.

Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

Phil, you are correct. I don't believe there is much risk of extended closures, and since we are getting competitive quotes and not looking for charity here, we should expect quick performance on the projects.

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

1) e. We already have designs for a number of connectors on the track. If we decide to modify the hairpin, it should be done at the same time the other connectors are built. This would be a bigger chunk of money but would cost less for that particular modification.

2) b. The season is upon us; it is pretty much too late to contemplate this now for this season.

3) b.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Mariogim
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Gimenez

Post by Mariogim »

second try at this .
survey 1 B
Survey 2 A

Survey 3 includes many luxuries that are not critical at this time, and therefore is hard to answer. After completing the mandatory things for our occupancy permit, I believe that the washrooms should be next on the priority list. Then the hairpin change. My question is why did the members not get to vote on how the club spends its money on other proposed improvements to the track?

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

Mariogim wrote: My question is why did the members not get to vote on how the club spends its money on other proposed improvements to the track?
Nothing is cast in stone at this point; this is all just discussion. Some we have no choice (Storm pond); some are pretty much a given (washrooms) and others may be good revenue generators (BBQ shack).

We elect an executive to act in the best interest of the club -without coming the the membership for every little thing. We need to trust them and know they are doing their best. Larger (discretionary) expenditures are different and usually involve discussions and votes. I believe many if not most of those items would fall into this category.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

pauldeadman
First Name: paul
Last Name: deadman
City/Town: Okotoks

Post by pauldeadman »

Survey 1 - D
Survey 2 - B
Survey 3 - B

I would like to get another full season in the bank, see what grant money comes in and look at all track improvements and changes that could be completed in one go during the off season.