2016 Enduro

Discussions relating to the Endurance Race (Enduro)
Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier
City/Town: Calgary

2016 Enduro

Post by Mark »

Time to start some buzz on what is the best race of the season !

For the benefit of those who may be new, the "Enduro" is a 3-hour endurance race ! What makes this event so special -besides it's length- is that all senior classes are on track at the same time. The mix of 4-strokes, Rotax, and Shifters and their relative speed differences give this a distinctive "LeMans" flavour. There is usually even a LeMans -style start where drivers run across the track and jump into their karts !

In general terms (all details to be confirmed)

Junior 1: 45 Minute race, non-stop. Class weights apply. Spec Tire rule applies.
Junior 2: 1 Hour; 1 mandatory pit stop. Class weights apply. Spec Tire rule applies.
Seniors: 3 hours; 1 mandatory pit stop. Class weights DO NOT apply. OPEN TIRES.

Fuel Rules apply for ALL CLASSES (no magic elixirs !)

Motors must appear stock from 25' and must be karting-specific race motors (so no Hayabusa's grafted onto kart chassis !!).

ALL SAFETEY STANDARDS are to be adhered to.

You are welcome to bring friends to be part of your team. The club will issue a minimum standard for them to adhere to in terms of practice laps (they need to be able to hold a consistent line and not be so slow as to pose a danger to others).

Questions are welcome !
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Re: 2016 Enduro

Post by John Kwong »

Here are some of the details from past endurance races and a few random thoughts to consider:

To encourage participation by non-members, prospective members and revitalizing past members there used to be a provision that at least one member of your team had to be someone who had not raced during this year's racing season. As crazy as this sounds, it did work to bring much more participation to the enduro races. I would like to see this re-instated to increase participation and lessen the probability of having super teams formed.

With the reliability of engines and longer life tires these days, the endurance part of this race is more about the driver's lasting than the equipment.

The LeMans start will be slightly modified to have the driver's run from the pit lane tire wall across the grass to the back of their kart for the start instead of across the racing surface as this has much less chance of there being a problem.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton

Post by SteveO »

Is there going to be any chance for non-members to practice the week prior to the event without having to pay the daily $40 non-member fee?
I believe it was run this way from 2011-2013, and resulted in a lot of people practicing, participating in the enduro, and turning them into club members the following year.
Stephen Orton

BANZracing
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Taylor

Post by BANZracing »

For the J2 race, is a driver change mandatory? I've a pilot who wants to run the entire race on her own (with the one mandatory stop of course).

Is there a minimum number of drivers required to make a single team for the senior classes (ie two, three, etc)?

Mark

Post by Mark »

No minimum number of drivers; you can run solo if you like, just as long as you make a pit stop -and I believe we have said that a pit stop requires that the motor be shut off and the driver walk around the kart and get back in.

BANZracing
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Taylor

Post by BANZracing »

Thanks Mark. Have we established the min lap time for the senior race, for the newbie pilots? Just so I've got a bar to work towards in the coming weeks.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Hmmm.....not sure it's that hard-and-fast. It's mostly to make sure that everyone is safe. I guess the 107% rule could be used which means that you need to be within 107% of the pole time. Unfortunately, you don't know what the pole time is since we grid by registrations and not by lap time !

If we take a 1:03 lap, 107% of that is 1:07.4 so if you are around that, you're good for sure -but I wouldn't sweat it if you're not quite there yet.

A full set of rules will be issued shortly and that will address a lot of details like this...

pauldeadman
First Name: paul
Last Name: deadman
City/Town: Okotoks

Post by pauldeadman »

How many J1s racing? The online reg is closed.

Thanks
Paul

Lonnie Ganz
First Name: Lonnie
Last Name: Ganz

Post by Lonnie Ganz »

I have two sets of new Mojo D2 tires to sell if anyone is having trouble finding enough for the Enduro. Posted in Classified.

Shayne & Griffin
First Name: Shayne
Last Name: Mackenzie
City/Town: Edmonton

Post by Shayne & Griffin »

Will we be able to park our trailer in at the track around noonish?

thanks,
Shayne