For Questions about the ROK 100 VLR

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer
City/Town: Calgary

For Questions about the ROK 100 VLR

Post by Fred »

If you have any questions please post here.

dvelpel
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Velpel

Re: For Questions about the ROK 100 VLR

Post by dvelpel »

Hey Fred,

Interested to hear what you feel the intended class progression will be with this engine and maybe what you think the actual class progression will look like? Are there intended/targeted class that your looking to feed this new class?

Fred

Post by Fred »

Hi Dan
Great question and the one I hoped would start this discussion off.
The Senior and Masters VLR is not there to target any other class as a feeder to it .. that is not its intention.
It is intended to be a mid power (between Briggs and Rotax) class that is affordable 2 stroke racing that anyone can comfortably transition to straight as a Rookie. It is designed to keep costs as low as possible $2,399 (first year) for the motor whilst allowing for non homoligated 2 stroke or 4 stroke frames using harder 6" Vega greens to compete together. You could reasonably get into completely new for $6200.
Because it runs on the Briggs Senior and Masters weight It also allows lighter drivers that would find it hard to make Rotax minimum weight a place to run 2 stroke karts. The first thing people say when they get off is how easy on the body they are to drive whilst giving a pretty good ride .
The class should be introduced to new members of the club that dont want to do Briggs or Rotax racing for any various personal reasons. At the moment all 6 drivers also drive 4 stroke karts as well and see this as a second class to compete in on race day (for $40 second entry why not)
Once the Junior header is sorted out this engine on a full size frame will be the stepping stone from Junior 1 Cadet into 2 Stroke racing which is something that for the parents who expressed interest is missing at the moment. Joey and I believe this class in all aspects will grow quickly and will be that intermediate power class that is missing at the moment. Details of the motor can be found in the downloads section.

evannadeau
First Name: Evan
Last Name: Nadeau

Post by evannadeau »

Fred, do you foresee additional ROK engine classes coming to CKRC?

First, I really like the idea of having an engine, such as these, that I would be permitted to rebuild myself. Secondly, with the ROK GP and ROK DVS both at higher horsepower than Rotax, but non-shifter, it gives growth for drivers without having to jump all the way from Rotax to Shifter.
VLR #42

Fred

Post by Fred »

Hi Evan
We have no plans to bring the ROK GP or the DVS to the club in the future ... these really are not a Club engine, more of an International type motor for big budget racers. The VLR was introduced as an affordable Karting step up from 4 stroke into the 2 stroke World at an affordable price point. Rotax 125 will still be our preferred upper power level 2 stroke non shifter package. In the mean time the VLR is a great package at $2300 and is very affordable to the average club racer.

evannadeau

Post by evannadeau »

Thanks Fred. VLR is what I'm shooting for, with outlook to join shifter in years to come. Thanks.
VLR #42

Fred

Post by Fred »

Let me know if you need help sourcing a New or use motor.

evannadeau

Post by evannadeau »

Thanks, Fred. I did have a little chat with Joe already. Most likely at this point, I am just budgeting for next year, but we will see what kind of a Karting season we still get.
VLR #42

Fred

Post by Fred »

OK no problem K and K West does have new and used motors already in Province .