2021 Senior / Masters Roll Call

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.

Please choose an option to show your VLR intentions.

Yes, I will be racing it again next year.
43%
Yes, I will be buying a VLR kart for 2021
21%
Still thinking about it
7%
Only if the numbers increase
No votes
Yes, when I can make it to Calgary for a race
14%
Yes, other
No votes
Maybe, other
No votes
No, other
14%

Total votes: 14

evannadeau
First Name: Evan
Last Name: Nadeau
City/Town: Calgary

2021 Senior / Masters Roll Call

Post by evannadeau »

As I see there are quite a few people prepping to start racing next year like me, and some of them are still undecided on what class to race, it would be a good idea for those intending to race the class to post here. This should help those still undecided with their decision.
VLR #42

elmt1
First Name: David
Last Name: Morris
City/Town: Whitefish

Re: 2021 Senior / Masters Roll Call

Post by elmt1 »

My intention was to race in the class this year but I haven't been able to go across the border. When the border does finally re-open, I intend to make it up there for all 2 day weekends and for most of the other 1 day races. Because of the uncertainty, I voted with "when I can make it." As for senior/masters, without any weight on the cart, I am about 2-3 pounds over the CKRC ROK VLR senior weight of 340 so I would probably add the 30#'s to the kart and go with masters because it would help to balance my kart. If the senior limit was 350 like it is here in the ROK Cup races, I would likely try to lose some weight and go with the senior class and only add 10 lbs. toward balance because it is more fun than dragging around the extra weight. I don't know if it is always this way or is just due to the limited senior field, but the other benefit to seniors is that it looks like they get to start at the back.

evannadeau
First Name: Evan
Last Name: Nadeau

Post by evannadeau »

I'm quite a light guy too, so maybe we can run in senior and give John some competition. Haha
VLR #42

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

Alex and I each have a VLR motor, we just don't have suitable chassis for them yet. I'm looking to rectify that for the beginning of next season. We would run in senior class due to our (light) weight.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

There are also going to be between 3 or 4 new Guys from EDKRA racing them next year too. Oh and Jimmy of course.

[email protected]
First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Boyd

Post by [email protected] »

Yes I will be back for 2021......... Hunting for that ever elusive checked flag.
Glenn

Aleco
First Name: Alex Medeiros
Last Name: Silva
City/Town: Edmonton

Post by Aleco »

2 from Edmonton will be joining for sure

Zeegs01
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Zeegers

Post by Zeegs01 »

I’m considering joining this year I have a chassis but still am in need of motor. Aside from membership cost and a motor can any one tell me approximate running cost for a season?

kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen

Post by kolsen »

For a full season you'll need 2 sets of tires @ ~$275-$300 (so call it $600) and about 5L of fuel per day (so about $6), and I think about 2L of oil for the season - about another $50.

Should be good if you start with a new chain and sprockets, but maybe add another $100 for that - so assume approx $800 in consumables.

Don't forget the $110/race entry fee as well...

KEith

dvelpel
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Velpel

Post by dvelpel »

Keith hit on the core consumables, other items to add (and sky is really the limit based on how much maintenance you want to do)
Chain lube, 1-2 cans
General degreaser for cleaning chassis/engine etc...
Brakleen for cleaning clutch
Preferred grease or lubrication for clutch needle bearing
Brake fluid

other items to consider based on usage
Brake pad(s)
Spark plug(s)
Chains(s)
Sprockets(s)
Carb kit(s)
Air filter cleaner (K&N makes a good one, didn't find the filter to be to dirty from last year)

These consumables are not unique to the VLR class.