What tires do you have left ?

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer
City/Town: Calgary

Re: What tires do you have left ?

Post by Fred »

Just spoke to Joey and the likely hood that the Bridgestone will dry up mid season is high. Considering 2021 is their last year i think we should dismiss Bridgestone all together ... if we are looming at a tire that will in theory last all year buying 1 set is not a problem and having a Kart shop stock sparres just in case is also not a problem.. I think the whole class should be on the same tire and as proven by others if you have to buy tires so be it.. if that tire is only $218 landed buy 2 sets. The East will continue with Vega Blue and under no circumstances will swap to Mojo as they are the competitor. For the small amount of required tires Jimmy or Joey will ship them in.
I am also hearing now that the proposed VLR drivers from EDKRA have been got at by the club and are now experimenting with a new Master Masters class using Rotax Junior engines and 6" D 2 tires (don't ask why they are clueless)

evannadeau
First Name: Evan
Last Name: Nadeau

Post by evannadeau »

Very interesting discussion here, I think I'm learning a lot about tires. I want to add in, as someone joining the class next year, and new into karting, I don't give a flying fart which tires we use.

I'm joining the class for the TaG engine that I can rebuild myself, that is faster than Briggs but not as punishing or expensive as Rotax.

Tell me what to buy,and I'll grab it, but also having the option to use up whatever I can find (or grab from the tire pile) would be nice too.
VLR #42

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

We don't have a tire pile anymore ! LOL

evannadeau
First Name: Evan
Last Name: Nadeau

Post by evannadeau »

haha, yeah I know. Dave C mentioned it in his post, so I was joking around. But seriously, I'll take people's used tires. Going to need to turn a lot of laps to get up to speed.
VLR #42

[email protected]
First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Boyd

Post by [email protected] »

I would like VLR to run the same tires as 4 stroke masters as the I can use my scrubs on the briggs after like I did last year.....
Glenn

kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen

Post by kolsen »

I'm leaning towards John's position of open - at least for the first 3 or 4 races to get a feel for how the different tires perform...and if it give any clear and distinct advantage.

Vegas - if the Briggs are moving to Mojos, not sure if there will be anybody running them, and will Joey even stock them? Suggest we drop from consideration long term.

Maxxis - I like the cost/performance/durability. I'm planning on getting a set to see how they compare with my Bridgestones. Suggest we permit.

Bridgestone - Since next year will be their last year, let's use them if we have them.

Mojo D2 - Since this is what Briggs will be running, it will accomodate anybody running VLR and Briggs to consolidate - Suggest we permit.

After the first few races it will be clear if any one tire has any particular advantage over the other....if there is something that is clearly superior, I guess as a group we decide to either exclude, or have everybody jump to that one, or run with a disadvantage and build vastly superior driving abilities to overcome any equipment deficiencies.

dvelpel
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Velpel

Post by dvelpel »

I sent this out of band but should have posted this here for everyone. Summarizing up till now..

Suggested tires:
Mojo D2’s – Based on Fred’s comment, this would be a no-go or result in possibly loosing tickets to ROK the Rio as this is a direct competitor product
Bridgestone’s – Not feasible for the long haul as supply will be next to nothing. As Keith mentioned, run them if you got them in an open format.
MaxOne Vega Greens – Limited supply if any, run them if you have them… Briggs will be running Mojo’s (requested to specifically name MaxOnes in the regs so people don’t get Vega Green 7.1 into the mix if they are against Mojo’s. aka “interpretation of loose rules”)
Maxxis – Look viable based on Johns review
Le Cont – Fred mentioned these may be what ROK will be pivoting to. Grip level was good based on endure (Jimmy/Fred) but wear was more than the Maxxis

My viewpoint is that we can/will start as an open (defined open tires) tire class but we will end up on a single tire in the end. From the above; Maxxis and the Le Cont are the only viable options at this point in time (might be other options if people have them). As a group we can look to bring in a couple sets and test them. I would suggest that before the 1st ROK race we run we need to have some indication what tires we will end up with as I’m assuming they need a control tire in pace for that. Fred can validate or comment on the last part.

I'm 50/50 at this point in time. If Le Cont will be the control tire for the rest of the ROK series. it could have value to be familiar with it if you are planning on attending these events. From a pure club level, cost conscious side, I think its clear Maxxis would be the smarter move based on the current data we have.

eventually we should just put a poll up and then set a date sometime in the spring to put a order in.

kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen

Post by kolsen »

I'm not sure that the ROK tickets (if they continue) are dependent on the tires we run, so if not, it should not be a consideration of which tire(s) we settle on for the CKRC VLR class.

In the past 2 seasons we ran Vegas without issue....maybe Fred can clarify...

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

This class, as Dave stated was brought in to be an "additional" class, to allow a bridge between Briggs and Rotax, with the intent being you could use everything you already have for your 4 stroke kart, including tires, rims, and chassis. I believe this outlook (from a club perspective ) hasn't changed. I for one, do not want to order tires from anywhere other than local supply, and don't have any interest in stocking another brand/ model, from the three that we already run. My vote would be the Mojo.

Phil

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Running on the same tires as the RoK Series will offer little information as to how the tire behaves as parking lot racing at The Rio is completely different than permanent track racing. The parking lot starts out dirty and slippery the first couple days then gets to similar conditions as what we race on and then rubbers up well beyond what we ever deal with.
As far as I know, running on the Vega tires didn't have any bearing on the Rok the Rio tickets, so if we run on specific tires but have a few choices it should be okay. I look at 2021 as a bit of a transition year where the class will see more competitors and hopefully the COVID scenario that we are dealing with will be more open regarding the border.

Not sure which LeCont tire Jimmy brought in but the one on MondoKart is used for KZ and SuperRok or generally faster classes. the GearUp F-Series also uses LeCont exclusively for their series.

Here is a tire chart that I have assembled to compare a number of different tires:
* disclaimer: tire durometers are provided by the manufacturers to CIK and typically are only a general guideline and can vary widely.
Kart Tire Chart - Sheet1-2.jpg
Kart Tire Chart - Sheet1-2.jpg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 4294 times
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/