What tires do you have left ?

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Re: What tires do you have left ?

Post by John Kwong »

I think there are a few issues with just going with the Rok Cup LeVanto tires. Will there be anyone carrying them locally? and the added expense of their unit cost. If Jimmy and Joey are able to inventory enough sets of the Maxxis Sport tires for the racers we will have local availability. Even if we don't have a local retailer, they are available within 4 days from MondoKart. I have ordered stuff from this shop several times and they are reliable and professional. Also, using the same tire(LeVanto) as the Rok Cup will not give you much set-up familiarity if you go to Vegas. Running on a parking lot is so much different than a real kart track because the asphalt is dirty, only run on once a year and typically has more oil in the surface. By the end of the 2nd day of the event, once the rubber is put down, chassis set-up is completely different again to what you may have been running on with that tire all year. So there is no benefit to using the same tire as the Rok Cup except that you are paying a premium to the organizers in Ontario who we would be buying the tires from.
From Acceleration Karting, the regular LeCont White is $219 US while the LeVanto is $233.40 US. Rok Cup has taken a page out of the Rotax book to help subsidize their larger U.S. championships. Several years ago, Rotax's price gouging and yearly price increases on their tires got to $313/set and that is when we said no more and went to the Vega which dropped tires set prices to $260/set. We are a big club and do not need to be dictated to by outside forces. Keeping this class as affordable as possible is the way to do it.

The Maxxis Sport tire: I have only been this impressed with a kart tire this good once before and that was when Vega entered the karting market in the late 80's and the Maxxis Sport has very similar characteristics with good traction and unbelievable longevity.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

I think it is important to keep this class as a "Affordable Karting" class to allow it to grow (this primarily is about club racing not so much the ROK Cup side of it). The Maxxis is a very good tire and very affordable for what we need. Joey and Jimmy will have the tires in stock so we wont have a problem there. As JK stated if you go to Vegas your testing at races here means nothing there as does the days testing there mean nothing to the following day until it rubbers in.

If the 2019 active VLR Racers want to vote on it thats fine but be aware the only other real option you would have (As most want to go to a 7.1 rear) would be a Vega Blue and I believe that is way too much tire for the VLR at SMSP (Same with the Le Vanto) and the Maxxis sport is still the best option all around.

dvelpel
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Velpel

Post by dvelpel »

redacted
Last edited by dvelpel on Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

We now have two different polls on the go, with different tire choices. This underlines the need for class reps.
What is the opposition to the Vega Green, which is the cheapest option, and the only one the class has run on so far. It can't get more affordable than what we already have (which is approved by the people supplying the tickets), and the fact that Joey has stock left, and is willing to bring in more at the lowest price of the choices.

Phil

dvelpel
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Velpel

Post by dvelpel »

Hey Phil,

I wasn't aware of a poll already for the VLR class or are you referring to the Vega/Mojo?

Im going to close the poll anyway as it's already been spammed with 17 votes which doesn't represent the class. I'll look to make it a close private vote some how.

edit; just saw the post by Keith, please use the as the official vote.

DaveC
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Cameron

Post by DaveC »

So Fred suggests "Affordable , Available , good grip level and cheap is what we are aiming for." (2 pages back). I assume from other VLR club propaganda that 'good grip' is 'low grip' to avoid injuries and highlight driver skill.
Keith suggests that the new, expensive, ROK tire will likely grip like the Bridgestone (in the poll thread), which was good for 2s a lap for him (also a few pages back in this thread). That does not feel like low grip.
John suggests that using the same tires here and in Vegas will have no benefit (today).
We are not sure if the Le Cont will be available locally.
Most of you know my thoughts on the Max One Green tire after last season. And that they are not the most affordable.
I guess we can't use the D2 for political reasons, likely the 'most affordable' option for those of us running Briggs too, but whatever.
The Maxxis is the most affordable of all the tires, unless the CAD-EUR rate changes dramatically. It will be available locally. It is JK endorsed.
And if we have a vote could we please do it live so we do it once and we know who voted? Dan's poll was a victim of rampant voter fraud. :o
Phil is correct, this is what class reps are for.
Dave Cameron
Briggs Masters #12

kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen

Post by kolsen »

Forgive me if I misunderstand the role of a class rep as I fail see how it would have any bearing in this discussion.

Isn't the class rep to be the "voice" of the class to the club? To take up concerns/grievances/etc and represent the drivers in the class to the management/executive of the club?

IN this case, we as a group can't seem to be able to arrive on a consensus for which tires we will run next year. As I understand it, the club doesn't dictate that sort of thing to us, we can decide amongst ourselves, and have the class rep inform the club of our decision.

If it is the position of the class rep to make a decision on this topic on behalf of the group, then I guess we should change the poll from which tires we'll run this year, to an election for a class rep.

Interestingly enough, I came across this post from many years ago - viewtopic.php?p=7208&sid=c0362ade247c6a ... 4ace#p7208

Back to the topic at hand, looking at the current poll results, which seem to represent a majority of VLR drivers at this point, we can eliminate Mojo and open as they currently have 0 votes. Based on JK comments on LeVanto, their cost, and only a single vote, they can be dropped for consideration.

This leaves us with Vegas (2 votes) and Maxxiss(4 votes). Neither of these options would preclude RokCup stipulations, and since Briggs has 2 options (Mojo and Vega) how about we settle on Vega AND Maxxiss and put this to bed.

Back to the class rep - who wants to take that on?

KO

evannadeau
First Name: Evan
Last Name: Nadeau

Post by evannadeau »

If I do indeed join the class this year (99% certainty), I'll put up my hand to be the class rep. I know many of the other racers in the class are quite busy with other roles, so I could take on this one thing.

Although, do keep in mind that I will also be very new to the club, and 2021 will be my first year racing.
Last edited by evannadeau on Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
VLR #42

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

Keith- the class rep comment was due to the fact that both you and Dan started polls, with different choices. A class rep would merely keep the discussion focused, and, once a decision has been reached, take it to the executive to be put in the sup regs.

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

So the question really needs to be, has everyone apart from 1 current VLR user now taken the 7.1 rear off the table ? That was one of the prime reasons we looked at a different affordable tire.

I would suggest a way forward would be
Vega green 6.0 (Vega green shifter tires excluded)
Maxxis sport 7.1 tires can be used for 2021

Drivers must declare which tire they are going to use before the season starts and must complete 1/2 season (6 races) before deciding if they want to change to the other brand.
As it stands I believe the current runners have opted to run Maxxis (?)

All races count for ROK CUP with 2 double header weekends being nominated for double points