What tires do you have left ?

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer
City/Town: Calgary

Re: What tires do you have left ?

Post by Fred »

We were able to use Vega tires because the East Coast ROK were on Vegas and as its De Leo that sponsors the tickets, he wanted us on Vegas (Which the rest of the club was on anyway). We can definitely stay on Vega and Joey or Jimmy will bring them in (One of them will bring in whatever tire we want so Phil's point is void they will be able to be acquired locally)
MOJO will almost certainly be a NO GO (especially since the local club wont even allow the ROK to run at their club) .... purely on that point MOJO should be ruled out.
As I see it the options are really only Maxxis or Le Cont or stay with Vegas ..

As you will only be buying 1 set a year 2 Max its not really a massive problem.

Whatever we run will have to be Cleared with DeLeo and ROK USA to maintain the Rio tickets.
We will need a control tire for The ROK Cup and eventually I would like to see the whole season count as the RIO tickets to make sure those competing don't just turn up for 6 races but are encouraged to run the whole season (This can be mandated in 2021 if you wish)

kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen

Post by kolsen »

My thoughts.....

Maxxis and Le Conts are less expensive than Vegas - so since one of the objectives is affordability, I would say we focus on those 2.

Sounds like there are a few reasons that Mojo should be dropped from consideration...

I think we should have 3 or 4 races with open rubber, and make a decision after that, unless DeLeo and ROK USA dictate something - Fred can you find out what their position is?

As far as ROK Cup, I like the idea of it being across all races, kinda ties it with club championship. But.....I'll be able to make it to them all, so I would like to consider opinions of those who aren't as lucky.

Keith

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

Am I the only one that sees the irony in "the affordable two stroke class" making it so we can't use the equipment we already have, so that there can be a ticket to a race that will cost the winner at least 5k to participate? And a season long savings of $70 to use a different tire, as opposed to the ones that are already on the kart?

Phil

kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen

Post by kolsen »

Hey Guys,

Just got a note from Joey, and he's got some stock on the Vegas, and can pretty much cover the field for $220/set.

Hows this for the 2021 season:

We'll run open - choice of Vega/Mojo/Maxxis/Le Cont

Fred to determine the spec tire that will be used for ROK Cup - if you want to qualify for this, you must run the spec tire, any points earned on non-spec tire will not be eligible for ROK Cup, but will count for club championship.

Thoughts/comments?

phil

Post by phil »

If Joey can supply the greens, we should just leave the tire rule as it sits, and copy and paste into the 2021 regs. No need to make it any more complicated. That will also allow anyone who has tires left for four stroke to have an outlet for them (and potentially add some karts to the grid)

Phil

Fred

Post by Fred »

Yes Joey spoke to me about the greens too and to me it would make sense other than a few people wanted to get off them as the last batch were not good and they also wanted to try a 7.1 rear tire instead of the 6" tire.
Phil .. you don't have to go to Rok the Rio (the same as you don't have to do Rotax World Finals at around 25K) but you can still be classed as the Series Champion so its still cost effective and still cheaper by far than the other classes including Briggs.

phil

Post by phil »

Fred, I never said anything about having to use the ticket, it was about adding expense to run the class, because there is a ticket available. The Rotax tickets are not based on a club series, they are based on a separate championship, so not a direct comparison. The engines Rotax is giving the club made the requirement for that class to switch tires. I would just like the class to remain as affordable as possible, to help the club, and the class grow. I have a deposit on a VLR myself, and am planning on running Briggs, VLR, and Rotax next season. I still have a brand new set of three or four year old Greens that need to get used before they expire. I can't imagine what kind of a chart you are looking at to believe VLR is cheaper than Briggs, but this post is about tires, so we'll have to leave that one for now.

Phil

elmt1
First Name: David
Last Name: Morris
City/Town: Whitefish

Post by elmt1 »

Good afternoon ROK fans. Given a choice, I would prefer 7.1" tires over 6", next most important would be if the tires were used at other tracks in the region. I am not as concerned about the incremental differences in cost, but having a longer wearing and consistent tire is better if it helps to level the playing field.

Thanks!

Fred

Post by Fred »

Just as an Update ... We will almost certainly be using Maxxis 7.1 Rear for 2021 (Joey and Jimmy are going to collaborate to supply these tires) We know through the Enduro and Testing that you will probably only need 1 set a year but there will be extra sets if required .. Closer to January we will need to know your requirements so the shops can figure out what they need to order... These will be for VLR classes only .. Shifter will stay on their open tires this year.

[email protected]
First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Boyd

Post by [email protected] »

Since it seems we can not use the mojo tires that the 4 stroke classes are moving to because of the conflict of Rok Cup and Rotax, I move that we follow
Rok Cup rules for 2021 and use the tires that we would race with them which would be the LeVanto KRT tires by LeCont.

I also believe that we need to have a vote by participating class members to decide this issue.
I am open to Keith Olsen's suggestion of open tires until this is decided for the frist Rok Cup race.

Thanks, Glenn