What tires do you have left ?

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
DaveC
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Cameron
City/Town: Calgary

Re: What tires do you have left ?

Post by DaveC »

Hello VLR team ... thoughts in no particular order ...

I have no Vega Green tires that I would want to compete with. My VLR tires became my Briggs tires when the post-Covid greens were so slow I could not use them.

Thanks to John for his experimenting and reporting.

The Maxxis tire seems like a good idea at the price quoted. Based on 2 sets a guy could look to save about $87 over the season -- and maybe another 10 euro ($15) with a bulk order discount.
The Maxxis is not CIK-approved. I assume that means nothing to our insurance or to the quality control of the product.
The Maxxis is not available locally ... honestly I have a hard time with this, but I suspect I'm the only one that's got a hole in a tire on Friday before a double header. I'm sure everyone will say 'but Dave I would lend you mine' ... and that is nice until it is the last double for Vegas -- money changes everything, do not say it does not.
There's talk of an EDKRA contingent next year ... like 5 racers, wow. Since we started -- and marketed heavily -- this as a reuse-your-Briggs stuff class, would it make sense to use D2's and let them not buy extra tires? There is also a movement up north to put Rotax Master on D2s, making even more tires available.
I can see logic -- which means doing what is right for Alberta karting irrespective of personal feelings -- driving CKRC to align with the EDKRA and use Mojo D2 tires on Briggs karts next year, would this not allow the advertised reuse too?

Like John, I understand the various views ... I guess we need to decide what direction makes the most entries. I can (likely) get over the non-local availability thing to save slightly more than 1/2 a race fee over the season. I'd prefer to have the flexibility to use my Briggs tires (whatever they may be). I think it would be most cost-effective for the Edmonton guys if we used D2s. But we've not seen an Edmonton guy register -- except Jimmy, whose opinion I've not seen here and would value.

Left field stuff ... do we NEED a single spec tire? Could we say we have 3 tires that can be used? Vega Greens, Mojo D2, Maxxis Sport -- run what you have, get them wherever you like, get the rears as wide as you want, use them in whatever other class that allows, take them out of the tire pile if you like ... this seems like a solution that would make everyone happy. Eventually we'll all be on the same tires anyway.
Dave Cameron
Briggs Masters #12

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Hi All,

The thought of opening up the tire choice could be a good option and then we could see how the tires work against each other while allowing the most flexibility for the competitors.

The Montana guys are on Bridgestone YLR for another year and those should be similar to the tires we are talking about. I think for the VLR class, more tire options opens up the chance of more competitors. It has worked pretty well for the shifter class and tires haven't really been a topic of discussion.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen

Post by kolsen »

Dave brings up some good points.

While opening up the tire options has some merit, it shouldn't be wide open. Bridgestones take about 2s off my lap time, so that would be like 5s for John ;-)

If we decide to permit multiple tire options, then they need to be similar enough to not give any significant advantage.

D2s make sense, WRG to availability, and the whole re-usability...last thing i want to do is put up any additional barriers to entry...if everything else is going Mojo, let's be part of the community...and less of the red-headed stepchild ;-)

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

6" mojo D2 is the worst tire in the World .. be careful of what you ask for . You will.also go through more sets a year (3 is my guess after working with them at WCKC with Miles ) I am not even sure if ROK would still put up the seats to Vegas if we were to use their major rivals branded tires.
The whole idea of the VLR is to have affordable Karting and in my opinion to do that you need a spec tire ..
I am pretty sure Jimmy will bring in and stock enough Maxxis to cover off what we all need and extra so the supply issue is a non issue.
We don't want to go to a tire that has too much grip as we don't want to suffer the quick turn around out of the sport that Rotax suffer from injury (I can quarentee those lost numbers from the Club that Roy pointed out last night are made up 90% of first time Rotax owners)
Affordable , Available , good grip level and cheap is what we are aiming for.

Fred

Post by Fred »

Oh and if you are going to consider an open tire just spec Le Cont as thats what everyone will gravitate to anyway .. and they will probably be the new Vortex ROK tire anyway.

kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen

Post by kolsen »

Fred

Post by Fred »

Yes .
Dave you don't need to worry about VLR tires yours always stays parked. :-) LOL

dvelpel
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Velpel

Post by dvelpel »

How did the le Cont tires hold up during the enduro? think Jimmy mentioned he ran those.

Fred

Post by Fred »

OK not too bad but in my opinion fairly good life left.. would probably have done another 2 -3 hrs but generated way way too much grip. They were in a worse state than JK Maxxis .

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

I wouldn't look at our tire choice as causing us to be the red headed stepchild. Our relatively low numbers and different looking/sounding motors do that already. I believe having a more inclusive and open tire rule will help the class grow.

The Bridgestone YLR is built/marked for the Rok Cup series and is basically a rebadged YLC so that the race organizers can control what and where tires for the Rok Cup in the U.S. are sold when they have their big events. It is considered a Medium compound tire that is known to be about 44 on the durometer.

Here is a list of what I would consider comparable equal tires that would be good candidates for an approved list for the VLR classes:

Vega MaxOne Green Hard - compound in the Vega hierarchy
Maxxis Sport - rated at 45 durometer on Mondokart's site
Bridgestone YLC or YLR - medium compound but on the harder side of that
Mojo D2 - medium compound but not as soft as the D5

Open rain tires (Vega still makes the best rain tire)

The Mojo D2 6.0 seemed pretty comparable to the Vega MaxOne Green 6.0 and the CKRC has voted to still allow the Vega MaxOne Green to run in the Briggs classes. The availability of the Vega MaxOne Green will dry up pretty quickly as most Briggs racers will go to the Mojo D2 7.1 which I think will be pretty comparable to the Maxxis Sport tires. By allowing the Bridgestone tires too, the Montana guys won't have to buy tires that they can't use at home.

Basically, I am saying that being flexible for at least 2021 should reap more entries and help all involved to economize their tire usage. A racer that races both Briggs and VLR can use the Mojo D2, the Montana guys can use their Bridgestones and those that want a different cheaper tire can use the Maxxis Sport.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/