2022 VLR Roll Call

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
dvelpel
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Velpel
City/Town: Calgary

2022 VLR Roll Call

Post by dvelpel »

Hey Everyone

Hope you have enjoyed the off season!

Just doing a roll call for the 2022 VLR class(es) as I've heard it will be growing in all 3 categories this year.

Junior
  1. Catarina Nogueira
  2. Myles Johnson (and maybe Craig :lol: )
Senior
  1. Alex Hillier
  2. Mark Hillier
  3. Andrew Zeegers
  4. Cyrus Pischke
  5. Dan Velpel*
  6. Keith Olsen*
Master (*due to class weight change some may go Senior)
  1. Evan Nadeau*
  2. Brian Turner
  3. Rob Slivinski
  4. Uncle Jimmy
  5. Phil Haggerty (limited)
  6. Marcos Nogueira (limited)
  7. Glenn Boyd
  8. John Kwong
  9. Nathan Schemenauer
  10. Ben Lawler
  11. Dave Lawler

I will be looking to suggest some rule changes within our classes program to have better alignment with the ROK Cup as well to ensure that we are keeping the class a fun and a cost effective means of racing. Once our Race Director (Fred) has had an opportunity to review them I'll proposes them to the class and we can have a vote. I will post the proposed changes here at least 1 week prior to scheduling the vote to ensure we can have some healthy discussions prior. If there is something you feel that you would like to propose please feel free to reach out directly.

For any new members that are interested in the class or existing, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions about the platform as my intention is to help grow the class and help reduce the learning curve to the engine. I've been keeping the VLR FAQ fairly to to date and hope to have information flowing directly from ROK to ensure we are aware of any engine updates that may come up.
---

Feb 15th - Proposed changes to be posted no later than this date. This will allow adequate time for healthy discussion.
March 1st - If possible, open up advanced voting. This will be dependent on solution and if there is a cost.
March 15th - Have virtual meeting to vote on proposed changes.

As promised; below are the proposed voting items. If there are any other items please let me know. I'll be looking to get a voting solution going to align with the dates above.

Results below!
Race day format: Which format do we want to run for 2022
  • ROKCUP format: Qualifying, Heat 1, Heat 2, Final

Class Weight: Do we want to align with ROKCUP weight regulations. This also opens up eligibility to Masters
  • ROKCUP: Junior - 310lbs, Senior - 350lbs, Master - 380lbs

Tire limits: Do we want to impose a limit of tires across the club race season (This limit would not include events such as North of 49 or Test and Tune days)
  • No tire limits
Fuel: Should we change our fuel standard
  • Keep fuel aligned with CO-OP 91 octane
Engine: Should we seal the engine for normal club races?
  • No
Should we adopt the ROKCUP regulations with the exception of Fuel and Number requirements.? Fred to review and update sups
  • Yes
Should we record engine serial numbers at the start of the day to enforce 1 engine rule
  • No
You can reach me on my cell or email.
Cell: 403-nine nine three-24 six 5
Email: Dan(at)Velpel(d0t)ca

Thanks!
Dan
Last edited by dvelpel on Mon May 09, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 20 times in total.

kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen

Re: 2022 VLR Roll Call

Post by kolsen »

Masters for me.

evannadeau
First Name: Evan
Last Name: Nadeau

Post by evannadeau »

I'll come to as many races as I can, but that depends on how far west I get ( now living on the road ). I'll be there for NO49 for sure but can't promise anything else. Masters class for me.
VLR #42

Brian Turner
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Turner
City/Town: crossfield

Post by Brian Turner »

I'm in again masters class

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

There is a Fb page now that we can discuss anything LeVanto ROk
Western Canadian Levanto ROK ... feel free to join and post content .. invite any Rokkers you know.

rob_slv
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Slivinski

Post by rob_slv »

Count me in for this year - masters

Rob

dvelpel

Post by dvelpel »

Thanks to everyone who has checked in so far. If you do know someone who is expecting to be running the class this year please inform them of this post, I want to ensure everyone has a opportunity to have a voice. Please do subscribe for any updates as I'll most likely add the changes to my original post and just bump the thread to keep it clean.

What my plan is...
Feb 15th - Proposed changes to be posted no later than this date. This will allow adequate time for healthy discussion.
March 1st - If possible, open up advanced voting. This will be dependent on solution and if there is a cost.
March 15th - Have virtual meeting to vote on proposed changes.

This should allow for adequate time to gather up the class members, discuss any proposed changes, vote, and then have them to be added to the regulations.

Please feel free to reach out to me via email/text.

Thanks
Dan

dvelpel

Post by dvelpel »

Bump!

I've added the proposed items on the first post, please keep the conversations clean and health :) I know we are missing some people in the current list, If you know someone who will be running in the class thats not on the list please reach out to them about this thread.

Thanks!

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

Alex and I are in for Senior.

Ambivalent about the format but adamant we keep our current weights to align with other classes in CKRC. Those wishing to travel can add ballast for those few events. Tires... they last well I don't think there is a major advantage to buying new tires all the time and see no need to limit them at this point.

One topic that I think should be broached is the concept of some kind of seal. I know this goes against some of the touted benefits of the motor (low cost, DIY rebuilds etc) but having witnessed what happened with Yamaha 20 years ago, there are potential issues as the class grows and becomes more competitive. Not suggesting we need seals this year but it would be a good thing to discuss.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

dvelpel

Post by dvelpel »

Hey Mark, I hear(read) you on the engine topic and it was something I suggested we bring up when I pre-screened the questions, but we didn't have enough data. I am curious to hear your perspective and what you would suggest.

In regards to keeping the weight the same, I'm not able to fully appreciate the connection with keeping it the aligned to Briggs (Rotax and Briggs are different), Each total package (Kart+Engine) weights different. This could also improve the Senior numbers as it may make sense for some Master to drop down to seniors with the increased weight limit. And it aligns us with ROKCUP.

I think the great take away from this is that we are able to have different viewpoint and discuss them, ultimately as a class we can choose the direction by voting.