VLR fuel

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Rafa
First Name: Rafael
Last Name: Perini
City/Town: Kelowna

VLR fuel

Post by Rafa »

Hi everyone.

I would like to know what fuel are you guys using for the Rok VLR. Been reading and heard lots of things about lead vs unleaded, gas pump vs racing fuel, octane and ethanol vs no ethanol. What have you guys tried and are using? My club recommended leaded racing fuel but pricing really makes me look for alternatives as long as it does not decrease engine health / longevity.

Thanks

Rafa

Cyruspischke
First Name: Cyrus
Last Name: Pischke
City/Town: Pincher Creek

Re: VLR fuel

Post by Cyruspischke »

We are running 91 octane pump fuel, which does ok but the VLR doesn't run quite as sweet on it as it does on race fuel. On pump gas you will want to be sure to mix your oil in at about 5%, rather than 4%, and gear it to keep the max rpms down around 15500, for both longevity and power reasons. A happy medium would be to mix pump and race fuel half and half, you still get most of the benefit of the race fuel but at a reduced cost.

As for the specific race fuel to use, I can't help too much with that I'm afraid. I've used Sunoco Supreme (leaded, 112 octane) which ran beautifully, but that's compared to pump gas, which isn't really a comparison at all.

agepag
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Pag
City/Town: Ontario

Post by agepag »

So our club in Ontario just said we will be running Sunoco 94 for the VLR class, there has been a lot of back and forth about if this is going to destroy the motors. You guys have any issues running the pump gas?

evannadeau
First Name: Evan
Last Name: Nadeau
City/Town: Calgary

Post by evannadeau »

We've always run the co-op 91 octane, and had very little problems. There are things to look out for, but I won't repeat what others have already stated.

One thing I'll state though, always always empty the fuel from the carb, so the ethanol doesn't harden the diaphram prematurely. I connect my pop-off gauge and pump it enough times to force out the fuel before putting it away for the day.
VLR #42

agepag
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Pag
City/Town: Ontario

Post by agepag »

Thanks for the advice