VLR tires 2024

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
rob_slv
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Slivinski
City/Town: Calgary

VLR tires 2024

Post by rob_slv »

I am just throwing this out before the last race and would like to get the topic going. Do we want to restrict the number of tires one can use for 2024? I know we tossed the idea around but I think we should get this out there now. I think 4 sets would be plenty for a season of club racing.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Rob

kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen

Re: VLR tires 2024

Post by kolsen »

I'm agreeable to a limit, personally I think 4 is excessive - 3 is reasonable - and 2 is possible...

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

If there's no rule stating it has to be the same four used as a set, there is no reason a maximum of four shouldn't be doable for anyone. Any less than that, you run a bit of a risk to the people that are only doing a few races having a pretty significant tire advantage.

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

I know the object of the exercise is to control cost but lets look at this from another angle.

Optimally, a new set of tires every race day will give the best performance. That's 11 sets

If we say you run 2 races on a set, then that's 5.5 sets -call it 5.

3 races makes it 4 sets.

I find that the 3rd race is iffy, depending on conditions at the previous race(s).

Since the point here is to stop people from spending excessively to gain an advantage no one wants to try and keep up with, I'd say 5 sets is reasonable. It can be done in less but having a little leeway isn't a bad thing.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

rob_slv

Post by rob_slv »

Let’s have a discussion on Saturday to keep the momentum going as I think we have some good ideas here. My thoughts are to keep it in line with Rotax Masters which is 4 sets. I know a few of the drivers use older tires to keep costs down due to budget constraints so it might be more difficult to control but we can always look at the scanner tool to verify.

Rob

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

Rob- FYI Rotax Masters is six sets

Cyruspischke
First Name: Cyrus
Last Name: Pischke
City/Town: Pincher Creek

Post by Cyruspischke »

I'm leaning towards 4 sets, roughly 3 races per set is easy to achieve. 4 races is completely doable as well, but they do start to get kind of weird after that many heat cycles, even if there is still decent tread depth.

This year I've only run 3 sets (all had around 30-40 laps at the start, they've all been leftovers from the winter/N49), and have only had them get really dicey once when the kart had been under steering most of the weekend and I shredded the fronts. Minding that I've missed a couple races, but I think 4 is a good number to prevent those who are not running the full season from having too much advantage as Phil says, as well as giving a bit of leeway in case handling issues or other factors cause premature wear.

JeremyK
First Name: Jeremy
Last Name: Kallis
City/Town: Sherwood Park

Post by JeremyK »

I think 5 sets is a good number for seniors.

rob_slv

Post by rob_slv »

On another note, I was wondering if the class should move to Race fuel for all VLR classes. Yes this will increase the cost of racing but given this year’s engine issues it might be time to move forward using Race fuel or have fuel as open - use what you want.

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Post by Jackmazury »

I will add a note on race fuel that may or may not be helpful.

In the shifter we run half MS109 and half premium pump gas. This is the most cost effective way to achieve 100 octane that we have found as opposed to a fuel such as MS98. Another suggestion is to avoid the C-series from VP or leaded fuels from other suppliers, nobody should want to breathe that when it isn't required. With the amount of kids running around exposure to TEL is especially haphazard, I would like to see an outright ban on it club wide. MS109 is a lead free fuel, there are options from other manufacturers as well, Sunoco comes to mind. MS98 is leaded.

Speaking now to performance, you will see lower EGT's on race fuel as well as less pre-detonation. If you take a piston out and it has tiny dimples everywhere, a chipped front edge, or a hole brunt through the crown, detonation is the cause. As an added benefit, the pull throughout the rev range will also likely be better on the VLR and you will be able to reach the 16k+ RPM range more easily.

Just sharing for information purposes.
Shifter #30

Class Representative