New to VLR....Where to start

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
agepag
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Pag
City/Town: Ontario

New to VLR....Where to start

Post by agepag »

Hi Guys, brining both my boys to VLR next year, from briggs and was just wondering what should I be looking for with respect to the motors. Purchased 2 used packages from a reputible dealer, but i might want to get 1 rebuilt. Are there any signs as to when these need a rebiuld? There is no hour meter on the motors, they both look to be i great shape, but how can you really tell. Also any tips to get them and keep them running at peak performance? Were in Ontario, but it seems like there only this forum that discussed the VLR plattform.

Thanks

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury
City/Town: Calgary

Re: New to VLR....Where to start

Post by Jackmazury »

Not a VLR owner but I am in the loop as to some of the wear items.

The main concern seems to be a ring pin issue in the top end, the vortex shifter and VLR are both somewhat prone to the locating pin coming free and the ring blowing out. 6-8 hours is usually a safe window with this, if you are using race fuel and are able to run up to the limiter I would go on the lower side of that. In the US they are rebuilding them every weekend for national racing, this is more a pursuit of maximum performance over longevity however.

The bottom ends seem to last relatively well. 20 hours is generally a safe number for most karting two strokes. I would check with your builder what their recommendations are as they likely know best.
Shifter #30

Class Representative