Chain length question

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Jeff_Terns
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Terner
City/Town: Calgary

Chain length question

Post by Jeff_Terns »

Hy everyone,

I'm looking to run either an 81 or 79 gear with a 12 front gear. The 108 is far far too long, so I'm looking for some recommendations on what length I should be running.

Thanks!
"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, then you're no longer a racing driver." Ayrton Senna

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Re: Chain length question

Post by John Kwong »

Buy a chain breaker. It is one of the must have tools for karting. I am pretty sure Joey has one in stock.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Jeff_Terns

Post by Jeff_Terns »

I have a breaker, but is shortening the chain a viable option or buying a chain that is the proper length better?
"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, then you're no longer a racing driver." Ayrton Senna

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

I always buy the longest chain I can and trim to size. Those extra links are kept and can come in handy.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

If you break and join carefully, you should not be able to tell where you made the modification. There should never be any binding in the joined link after completing the job.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Jeff_Terns

Post by Jeff_Terns »

Thanks for the help. I took 2 links out of my chain today to make it fit proper. When i reassembled, i noticed there was a kink in the chain. When I pressed the link through reconnecting the chain, i did not push it through far enough. I fixed it and could not tell where the connection had been made.