2023 Race Season Discussion - Tire limit - ROK Format

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Tjfast
First Name: Evan
Last Name: P
City/Town: RD

2023 Race Season Discussion - Tire limit - ROK Format

Post by Tjfast »

Hey all,

I would like to use this post to discuss a couple items for 2023.

1) Tire Limit.
As class rep I would like to bring forward the discussion of bringing in a tire limit for all club races. Looking at Rotax masters it has worked quite well. Having the limit be 6 sets of tires would be best, with the condition that for double header weekends you must run the same set for both days. The goal of a tire limit is to help bring down the cost somewhat and bring everyone onto the same playing field. Not everyone can go and buy a new set for every race. After all this is club racing and we are here to have fun. 6 sets of tires allows for a guaranteed 2 races per set, this is more than manageable.

2) ROK Format.
I would like to put forward the idea that we run ROK format for the race days. Simply put we are club racing and all want as much racing time as possible. ROK format allows this. Having raced ROK format in shifter I can say it is way more fun than the current format.

Please discuss these points. After some time and discussion i will reach out with a link for voting via email. If you know someone who is racing in Sr.Max this year please let them know about this discussion, I would like to hear from as many as possible.

Thanks,
Evan

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Re: 2023 Race Season Discussion - Tire limit - ROK Format

Post by phil »

I'm not part of the class, but will offer some thoughts.

The tire rule I believe is a great idea, but at six sets, I would be willing to bet that is more than most, if not all used previously. It should be very manageable. I believe at westerns everyone was limited to one set for the weekend.

As for the ROK format, it can be fun, but anyone wanting to compete in a Rotax championship will need to learn to qualify well, and the morning warm-up can be important, so I don't know that I would go full ROK, and maybe if it's something to be considered, do a test race day or two. That is something that could be changed from week to week during the season if everyone is in agreement.

Phil

Tjfast

Post by Tjfast »

Thanks for the thoughts Phil, I appreciate your input.

I like the Idea of trying ROK format for a few races to see how it feels and works. As I would agree with you on the note of being able to qualify for bigger events.

And for the tires I agree 6 is more than manageable as we only have 11 clubs races this year. Correct, Westerns is 1 set for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Which this year was roughly ~80 laps at Warburg, don't quote me on that as I don't remember exactly might be a bit on the high side there. A typical double header at CKRC is close to 60-70 laps depending on how many qualy laps in restarts etc so that is more than manageable. As such I would like to see the rule also having 1 set for a double header weekend as this fosters great tire management skills and keeps the field quite even.

Thanks for taking the time to add to the discussion Phil!

Tjfast

Post by Tjfast »

Hey All,

I will be sending out an Email for voting on tire rules and ROK format for the 2023 season in a couple days time, either Sunday or Monday. I will make another announcement once that email has been sent.

IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE ANY EMAIL FROM ME LAST WEEK REGARDING THE TIRE TOPIC PLEASE PM ME YOUR EMAIL *ASAP*. Please spread the word to all your Rotax friends about the upcoming vote.

I received some great feedback on my proposals and will be incorporating them as such.

I look forward to a great 2023 race season.

Evan.

Jakub
First Name: Jakub
Last Name: Babisz
City/Town: Calgary

Post by Jakub »

Hey Evan, I didn’t get any email my email is [email protected] . But I do think the tire limit is a great idea and ROK format not so much.

Tjfast

Post by Tjfast »

Hey Jakub,

Thanks for your reply, I added you to the list.

With that being said, I have sent out the voting today which is to be completed by email. If you didn't get this email please let me know, this also goes out to anyone else.

Tjfast

Post by Tjfast »

Quick reminder folks,

The email for voting has been sent out. Please reply to that email by 11:59pm April 14th.

If you didn't receive any email please reach out to me ASAP.

Thanks,
Evan.

Tjfast

Post by Tjfast »

Hey guys,

Voting is concluded and results are in.

We will be running a 6 set tire limit for the 2023 season and you must run the same set of tires for both days on double header weekends. This will be enforced by tire scanning.

We will not be running ROK format for now. It was a split vote, we can revisit this topic later, perhaps after NO49.

I look forward to hitting some apexes with y'all.

Adooley
First Name: Avian
Last Name: Dooley
City/Town: Calgary

Post by Adooley »

Hi Evan,
I just saw this post. Can you add my email for future discussions [email protected]. Good news is I agree with the 6 tire limit and No ROK format, so my vote wouldn't have made a difference anyway. thanks

KSlough
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Slough
City/Town: High River

Post by KSlough »

Evan,

Beckett will be moving to Senior Rotax this year so please add my email to your list as well.
[email protected]

Thanks,

Kevin