Quiet pits

Check here before heading to the track. Going to the track for a T&T ? Post it here !
phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Re: Quiet pits

Post by phil »

Another thing, which is totally irrelevant as far as the rule is concerned, is that, like it, or not, space designated for motorsports use is getting harder & harder to come by, & the small things do matter. When someone from a community where a proposal has been put forward comes to see what the racing is about, & can't have a conversation because there is a shifter engine revving at 15000 rpm in the next pit, it probably isn't going to leave the best impression. We are still at our location because we have been "good neighbors", & do what we can to minimize our impact on our surrounding communities. I was seriously concerned when we went to our first "quiet pit" event about the exact issues being discussed, such as jet changes, carb work, etc. especially being I was trying to juggle five karts in three classes, but saw no issues at all (related to that, lol), & actualy found it more enjoyable. I did go into one engine, & took it to tech, & was allowed to start it (not for 10 seconds like we allow), & immediatly shut it off as soon as it fired. Forgeting to refill a float bowl, & sitting on pregrid is just about being better prepared, & I can say it is much more embarassing when your wheel falls off because you missed tightening a hub (or two). The reality is things change, & while it might be uncomfortable for a while, if it means more access for facilites like ours, it may be for the best.

Phil

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier
City/Town: Calgary

Post by Mark »

I'll go back to my original point: We didn't have a problem before the regulation. Ergo, the regulation is unnecessary.

I agree it's nice not to have endless revving of engines -but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about brief tests. We have a problem with neither.

Its worth pointing out that we don't have a problem with people throwing marbles all over the track but I have no doubt that the folks at ASN are hard at work crafting a regulation to prevent us from doing that as well.

None of this bears any relevance to the availability (or lack thereof) of a karting facility in Calgary (or anywhere else for that matter).

Let's put this to rest -I really need to spend some time solving some other problems we don't have. :twisted:
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

robkozakowski

Post by robkozakowski »

Just some perspective...

Back in the pre-ASN days, when Western Canada ran under IKF, there was no running of engines in the pits, and definitely not on kart stands. That would get you sent home, possibly subjected to a fine, suspension, etc. - never mind missing an on-track session.

If you wanted to start up an engine, at any point other than the race, you took the kart to the pre-grid, off the stand, and nosed the kart against a solid object - all after getting permission from an official to do so.

Overkill? Well, what happens when a kart falls off the stand with a stuck throttle? Never gonna happen? I witnessed it in Wenatchee, Washington in the 90's, and it wasn't the first time it happened.

There are REAL insurance reasons behind the rules, which for the most part do exist for a reason beyond simply over-regulating things.

And the "being a good neighbour" and "public perception" things are also very real. Many kart tracks have been shut down because of noise issues and lots of places have had to adapt by mandating things like airboxes and decibel level readings that can get you dq'd.

The concept of a "quiet pit" is nothing new. ASN Canada has just been behind the times and very lenient over the years.