Rain Cancellation

Check here before heading to the track. Going to the track for a T&T ? Post it here !
Nathan B
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Bartley
City/Town: Calgary

Rain Cancellation

Post by Nathan B »

Just wondering what happens on a weekend like the one forecasted for race 2... With 50mm on saturday and 35-40 on sunday I would assume the track would be almost submerged. Would it be posted on the forums on sunday morning if we can't race?

Nathan

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Re: Rain Cancellation

Post by phil »

Calgary forecasts are always difficult ones to base a race weekend on. Last year we had similar forecasts, & ended up not pulling out rain tires until a different weekend that had no rain forecast. The decision is usually made race day, with a notice to watch for an update posted on saturday. We will need to be at the track to do the raffle draw anyway. We have made huge progress on water management also, so unless it is real nasty, we would most likely go ahead & race, but the race director would be the one making the call.

Phil

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

I think our rules say that the executive will make a decision by Friday night. I think that's a little premature though because even the night before the race you can't be completely sure. Because of this, it's extremely rare for the race to be canceled before everyone is already at the track.

Personally, I just do my own thing. If I'm pretty sure it's going to rain I just turn off the alarm and stay home. If the race IS canceled though, I lose out on some points that are awarded to all who showed up and were ready to race. So if you're counting points, go regardless !
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

samk
First Name: Sam
Last Name: Kozma
City/Town: Airdrie

Post by samk »

Phil is right, the weather changes and right now, the forecast I am looking at has now been revised to 15mm on Sat and 5-10mm on Sunday. I am quite confident that this will be updated to reflect both more and less rain on Sunday.

Unless the track is under water like it was last year, I can't see a reason to reschedule it.

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton

Post by SteveO »

And racing in the rain is a ton of fun......if you are prepared! ;)
Stephen Orton

newson48
First Name: Blake and Mark
Last Name: Newson

Post by newson48 »

That's debatable. Here in Calgary it gets awfully cold when it rains so you may be soaked and numb when you get off the track. :x
Mark
Shifter #48

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

We race in the rain regardless .. unless the track is so flooded it is dangerous. I stopped a race day last year for the very same reason and declared revised results. I personally think we will be ok .

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

The terrain surrounding the track and the storm water retention pond next to the track are as dry as I have ever seen. It would take a ton of rain to cause any kind of flooding at the track so far this year. Although, rain racing has its unpleasantness, it should not impede our activities this weekend.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/