First time @ T&T - Aug 4th.

Check here before heading to the track. Going to the track for a T&T ? Post it here !
brettswift
First Name: Brett
Last Name: Swift
City/Town: Calgary

First time @ T&T - Aug 4th.

Post by brettswift »

We're pumped to come out!

A group of 5 of us have been putting together a shifter kart on a new chassis as the old one wouldn't be able to get through inspection. It's looking good and we'll have it out soon. We will just pay the daily track access fee ($40/person?), and may have only 2-3 drivers per night. (unless there's a group rate we can get? it'll only ever be one kart on track).

I have a couple of questions to help us make this trip as smooth as possible.

I've been told each driver will need to be assessed on track for skill level, that's great.

Question 1: Registration
- do we just show up and meet with the supervisor, or do we need to register ahead of time?

Question 2: Race Suit / Safety gear.
- we vary in sizes, and are trying to find a suit that we can all share. (I'm sure it'll smell great after a few T&T nights!). I read the supplemental regulations:

5.8. At non-event Test and Tunes drivers may wear (at minimum) an abrasion resistant jacket and full length abrasion
resistant pants and gloves, although a full race suit should be their first option. .

Are there any rental suits / gloves that we could use for our first time out?

Are there rental rib protectors / neck collars?

Please let me know so we know what we need to purchase before coming to the track. We're looking forward to it!

Brett

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Re: First time @ T&T - Aug 4th.

Post by John Kwong »

Hi Brett,

Sorry no group rate. Plan accordingly to maximise track time.

Supervisor will handle paperwork and register your driver's of the session

Sorry, we do not have any safety equipment available to borrow or rent.

Rib protectors can be purchased through Chex sports. They are a hard shell lacrosse rib protector for about $50. A good investment for newbie ribs. A neck collar is more for rollover protection more than holding your head up. Their effectiveness has been questioned and they are no longer mandatory.

An old leather jacket is your best bet to start off with until you make more of commitment to karting.

Just so we can help you out with potential issues. What is the shifter kart that you are assembling? Chassis make? Engine?

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

brettswift
First Name: Brett
Last Name: Swift

Post by brettswift »

I think we're good to go with the kart, a couple others have been taking it down to Overdrive in High River which is where we got the chassis I believe. We moved a kawasaki 125 (1991) off the old chassis onto a 2013 Tony Kart ( Krypton 801 KZ?). I think one of us knows Joey down there, so we've been in good hands.

Personally don't own a leather jacket, I'm sure we can come up with one or the next best thing. For pants - assuming jeans considered abrasion resistant? Any shoes would do I guess? Good home depot partial leather gloves would probably be just as good as some karting gloves. Agreed?

I think we're mostly concerned with anything that would stop us from getting track time. Choice in jackets/pants/gloves might be the only thing. Is that discretion left to us? Ie: the waiver gives liability to us and not the supervisor or track.. then we're good. Even rib protectors, are they required? We'll probably get one of those lacrosse ones anyways, thanks for the tip.

Looking forward to learning a lot out there and in the pits.

Thanks for your help

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Sounds like you have had some advice from the right sources. The last thing we want is someone to show up in cut-off shorts and flip-flops wanting to use an open face helmet wondering why they can't drive their gokart they built in their backyard on our track. Karting is awesome for everyone when its done right at a proper facility. Let us know if you have any other questions.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/