CKRC 2023 Direction/Layout

Check here before heading to the track. Going to the track for a T&T ? Post it here !
sanguinetti
First Name: Brendon
Last Name: Sanguinetti
City/Town: Calgary

CKRC 2023 Direction/Layout

Post by sanguinetti »

Hello racers,

I tried to make this quick and easy, we need to decide on track direction changes for the upcoming racing season. Please visit the link below and select your preference with regards to how many times we should change direction. I also added a question about the Stooges layout. The is an initial query with broad questions just to get an idea of what members would like to do. Once we have that we look at it in a bit more detail. Feel free to discuss the topic here, there is also a place for comments in the form. Make sure to include your name, we won't count anonymous responses.

https://forms.gle/FEa8pqf2UYxjGYrLA

Brendon

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Re: CKRC 2023 Direction/Layout

Post by John Kwong »

Hi All,

Here is my suggestion for track direction for 2023. With the scaffolding we have now it is a pretty quick job to switch the lights. For the newer racers, the previous year's vote showed support for switching track direction for several reasons such as improving driver skills, putting wear into the track in different directions and giving driver's ribs some relief.

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 8.43.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 8.43.36 AM.png (112.74 KiB) Viewed 7406 times
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Post by Jackmazury »

I agree with John that multiple direction changes during the season are nice. I would like to see an additional clockwise race to even it out more. My suggestion to John's schedule would be the Peter Sammon race as CCW and the race 9/10 double header being CW. This would make the split 5 CW and 6 CCW as opposed to 4/7.

Regarding the old section of the stooges, I think that section of track should only ever run the new configuration. It flows much better since the improvements and the old version is both accident prone and extremely hard on equipment if you are doing the fast line through it (turn 3 turns into 2). If rib injuries are a factor, going CW and jumping the curb on the left in the old layout is certainly the most likely spot to blow a rib out. I am strongly against running races on the old configuration of that section. Maybe some people have fonder memories of the extra corner than I do.

Jack
Shifter #30

Class Representative

Sheriff525
First Name: Lane
Last Name: Trim

Post by Sheriff525 »

Is there any plan to fix the bumps this year going CW into the last hairpin? If not then I like Johns schedule. Those bumps for the 4 stroke line are not nice. If it gets fixed then the 5/6 split suggested by Jack is great!
Lane Trim #93 - Briggs Masters
Team Trim Racing

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

The T13 bumps going CW are deadly on the body. This extension was originally done to open up the corner mostly for going the CCW direction. The Stooges/TicTacToe modification has worked out well but I feel the T13 modification dumbed down the track as the corner going CCW is way too easy now. It has created more of a passing zone going CW which has been awesome in shifter. It is unfortunate that the paving company did such a poor job on this section as it was bumpy from the get go.

One solution would be to build curbing to narrow the track exit/entry about halfway to what it was when it had the curb there before. It would be more challenging, have the runoff of asphalt instead of dirt for those who are forced wide and we would be driving on the smoother part.
Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 10.46.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 10.46.35 AM.png (170.63 KiB) Viewed 7375 times
John K
Last edited by John Kwong on Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.johnkwong.ca

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Jack's suggestion works for me. It is still only 3 light location switches during the season.

For visual reference:
2023 Track direction.png
2023 Track direction.png (144.99 KiB) Viewed 7385 times
www.johnkwong.ca

Tjfast
First Name: Evan
Last Name: P
City/Town: RD

Post by Tjfast »

Personally I was not a fan of the old stooges layout. Like jack said I found it to be crash prone. I would agree with the notion that the track has a smoother flow to it now.

I don't mind a mixed direction change, makes things interesting. I personally have changed my mind about this recently.

JStretch
First Name: Josh
Last Name: Stretch

Post by JStretch »

I’m in favour of John’s CW T13 idea.

The back straight kink now has gnarly bumps due to freeze thaw. Also, the hump going into the stooges section (CCW) feels bigger than I remember.