What to do on raceday when you are new.

Check here before heading to the track. Going to the track for a T&T ? Post it here !
John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

What to do on raceday when you are new.

Post by John Kwong »

It has been awhile since I was new but thought it might be helpful for the new racers to have it all layed out. (Edited May 10, 2022)

To do list:
-The night before the race, don't forget to charge your transponder.
-Register for the CKRC race you want to run on http://www.motorsportreg.com registration closes at midnight the day before the race
-Load all your stuff the night before or the morning of the raceday. Make sure you have: helmet, gloves, driving suit, high top shoes, jerry fuel can, mixing fuel can, Motul oil, chain lube, kart stand, tent(optional), appropriate tools (10mm, 13mm spanner and the same in sockets and extensions),(4,5,6,8mm allen wrenches)& a(sparkplug wrench) usually any specialty tools can be borrowed at the track.
-Don't forget to take your transponder.
-Make sure you bring enough water to drink during the day
-Get your racing gas at the CO-OP (Co-op Edgefield 100 Edgefield Gate Strathmore, AB T1P 1K1) at the appropriate pump which is usually the highest even numbered pump
-Find a parking spot for your pit space.
-If registration is open, go and check in for the race. Bring your CKRC Speed Waiver on your phone, sign facility insurance waiver get wrist band
-If registration is not open, unload and set-up your pit space. Remember to secure your tent from wind gusts.
-If you need help unloading your kart, ask someone to help, we are a friendly bunch and are always willing to help new people.
-If you race Rotax, mix your fuel. Again if this is a new thing for you, ask for help as this can be an expensive mistake.
-If you still have time before the driver's meeting, go through the kart and check that everything is tight. Wheels, hubs, steering components, brake components bumpers and floorpan.
-Take kart through Pre-Race Safety Inspection in the tech building.
If you still have some spare time, have a walk around the pits and introduce yourself or offer others help to unload their equipment.

Driver's meeting will cover the days activities, any club news and any safety issues.
Figure out who is in your class and keep an ear out for when you are called to the grid and/or watch for that other person in your class leaving for the grid.

Practice - Take it easy for the first one or two laps. If you are not going racing speed, drive with your hand in the air to indicate that you are not going racing speed and maintain your line. The faster karts will see your hand signal and take evasive action. It is their job to get around you and they can see you better than you can see them.

Qualifying - If you are in a large grid (Rotax senior) it might be divided into odd race numbers and even race numbers. Be prepared to go in the right grouping. When all the karts in your group are let out, bring the tires up to temperature and then if you are following another kart, try and leave a gap so that you can do a flying lap without them slowing you down. If after your flying lap you have caught up to another kart, back off again and leave a gap so that you take another flying lap. If you practice this, there is no reason to feel like you were stuck in traffic and couldn't get a clear lap.

Pre-Final or Heats - You will be gridded according to your qualifying time. This is the time when you want to use all of your peripheral vision skills to avoid any contact in the first lap.

Final - You will be gridded according to your finishing position in the Pre-Final.

I believe we are using the same scoring system as previously used where Qualifying, Pre-Final/Heats and Final all count for points, so consistency is important. The Final determines the day's podium positions

-Trophy presentation

That is mostly what a raceday involves. I am sure I missed a few items but this should get anyone new through their first raceday.

John K
Last edited by John Kwong on Tue May 10, 2022 11:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Dave Barlass

Re: What to do on raceday when you are new.

Post by Dave Barlass »

And how many guys have gone out for qualifying with their transponders sitting in their trailers or worse,
back at home. :shock: I have left mine at home twice. :oops:
It is a good idea to charge them too! :o

jjarman
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarman

Post by jjarman »

Thanks John, great info. We are finally expecting to show up for our first race this coming Sunday and just have a couple questions. What time can we show up/set up in the morning? I'm assuming there's a drivers meeting as well, what time does that normally happen? What time does the day normally begin after that (practice, qualifying etc).

Thanks
James

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

Gates should be open by 7:00 a.m. Registration, I believe runs until 8:30, with drivers meetint @ 9:00. Frst practice is normally at 9:30. Sup regs should be posted tonight under "rules & regulations"

Phil

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

All the details for a race day can be found in the event supplemental regulations that are posted in the Rules and Regulations section of the website prior to each race. There you will find all the 'official' information as to times for everything, names of officials, etc. etc.

I'm a little behind in posting them this time but they're up now.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

We will let you off this time !!! Congratulations to you both on the birth of your new son "" whats he being called ?? Senna , Mansell , Lewis , PCR lol ??

Dennyb
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Bauer

Post by Dennyb »

Hi, I've gone for my doctors OK in order to apply for the ASN license. Do I really have to get a Ttanus shot to compete?

Dennis

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Probably not a bad idea if you have never had one. Cuts and scrapes while working on your equipment is pretty common.

John K
www.johnkwong.ca

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton

Post by SteveO »

I seem to leave a drop of blood or two behind each time I work on my kart, so it's a good idea.
At least we won't ever catch measles from our karts....
Stephen Orton

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Document at the start of this thread has now been updated.

John K
www.johnkwong.ca