Jr 1 2017 Season

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
franksartor
First Name: Franco
Last Name: Sartor
City/Town: Calgary

Jr 1 2017 Season

Post by franksartor »

Hi everyone, trust the all is well. I am starting this thread to encourage some thinking about the upcoming 2017 Jr 1 season. First I would like to thank Paul Deadman for stepping up to the Jr. 1 Class rep position.
1. Who will be running Jr 1 this year?
2. Potential supplementary tire rule: As many of you are aware the club is moving away from the Mojo tires, as supply is no longer available, to the Max Vega tires. However there is a possibility of having everyone use up there older Mojo D1 tires. I know many club members have new or nearly new D1 tires from last year, and I believe Joey at Overdrive has some limited stock available. The CKRC executive are flexible as long as everyone in the class agrees. As a note some very fast Jr 1 drivers last year just ran one set of D1's all year.
3.Any other thoughts for the upcoming year.
Franco Sartor

Murr15
First Name: Murray
Last Name: Hanna

Re: Jr 1 2017 Season

Post by Murr15 »

Thanks Frank and Paul!!

Matt will run

Tires, what will happen for the shoot out? What will Edmonton do? What will we do for out of towners? I bought some new mojos towards the end of last season as well. If we are going to switch I think we just do it. TAK can always use tires maybe we give some hours for good donated tires

Will we keep the penalty for contact? I think we should.

Also I think we should somehow discourage so much defensive driving, coming a line off when you have the lead. Let's just get them to run as fast as they can and if someone can out brake you or draft then good for them let them have the spot and do it to them, at least until the last lap then game on with no contact.

I really don't want to see karts flipping through the air this Year so somehow we need to drill it in their heads good hard clean racing. Let them wait until JR 2 to bump and drive defensive.

Just my thoughts.

Murray

JChan
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Chan

Post by JChan »

Matthew will run again this season.

I too have new mojos as well, but I am prepare to get the max tires if we decide to switch.

Murray, that's a great idea if we can get some hours for good donated tires.

I didn't realized we had penalty for contact. If so, I would prefer the penalty stay for contact.

Joe

pauldeadman
First Name: paul
Last Name: deadman
City/Town: Okotoks

Post by pauldeadman »

Hi all,

Please be gentle with me!! I will do my best to follow Frank as Junior 1 rep :)

Thanks Murray, Joe for the posts. I too believe we should enforce some clean racing. Stay on the racing line and learn to overtake correctly. As for the penalty issue I will work with Fred and the executive to update the J1 rules and have them published before the season.

Please post your thoughts and ideas on this forum so I can see them.

Cant wait for the season to get going.

Paul

allenberg1
First Name: Allen
Last Name: Berg

Post by allenberg1 »

Hello Everyone,

First of all, thank you Frank for starting this discussion and thank you Paul for taking on Class Rep role.

Alexander is very much looking forward to racing in J1 again this season.

My comments / suggestions:

1 I believe that we should implement the use of Max tires from the first event.

2 I too feel that there should be no deviation off of the natural driving line unless for overtaking attempts.

3 I think we should mandate use of clear visors and some sort of brightly colored / florescent covering on sides of front bumpers - to improve drivers chances of seeing another kart alongside of them.

4 The ASN Sporting regs are very unclear about passing - whatever is decided should be inserted into the club supplemental regulations. Frank provided me with an excellent document outlining passing etiquette and guidelines from a US karting club, I would be happy to share if you email me. I think that we could utilize some of this.

5 I was not aware of any penalty for contact but is certainly a good idea.

Allen

pauldeadman
First Name: paul
Last Name: deadman
City/Town: Okotoks

Post by pauldeadman »

thanks for the comments Allen, always appreciated.

I'm for the Max tire change too may as well do it right from the start so everyone is on the same page.

My only question is regarding the clear visors? Why do you want that? With the Sunshine we get that would mean everyone having to wear sunglasses when the visor is designed for that purpose. Just curious. thanks Paul

2eyedjack
First Name: neil
Last Name: shearer
City/Town: okotoks

Post by 2eyedjack »

Hi,

I'll have two J1's this year - Callum started last year but we had engine issues all season and he didn't race at all (thanks Joey for sorting this out for me!), and Archie will move up from Kid Karts to J1 also.

I'm ok with swapping to the new tires, that's what will be mounted on Archie's kart already and Callum's D1s are about done anyway.

Any idea when the Junior Camp will be this year? I want to make sure I get the time off so I can take them both to it,

Roll on spring!

Thanks,
Neil

Murr15
First Name: Murray
Last Name: Hanna

Post by Murr15 »

The penalty was a time penalty, implemented shortly after Alexander's and Enzo's crash. I think it worked well, the kids barely touched after that.

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

Alex will be racing Jr1 again this year and is looking forward to some tight racing with his buddies !

Tires: seeing as how it is pretty clear that the mojos are slower, I think allowing people the option of using up mojos or switching to vegas is fine. Newer racers will be fine on mojos and can likely get them at a good price. I think we should encourage as large a grid as we can and proving lower-cost entry is always a good start !

Visors: I question this one. I have a tinted visor as I find I squint in the bright light and I can get headaches. I have a tinted visor for Alex for the same reason. I am open to discussion on it though if there is sound reason !

Defensive driving: this is a tough one. In general, I prefer that the kids play by the same rules as the adults but perhaps with greater scrutiny. Penalties apply to all ages/classes for dangerous driving but are not commonly applied except in wake of an accident. Perhaps more strict adherence to those rules ?
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

allenberg1
First Name: Allen
Last Name: Berg

Post by allenberg1 »

One thing I notice working with new racing drivers is lack of awareness / use of peripheral vision.

My thought on the clear visors is that drivers will have greater chance to see flags and utilize their peripheral vision to see other competitors drawing along side of then.

Further, unless the sun is directly in the drivers line of sight a tinted visor is not really necessary. I did not use one when I was kart racing, of course that was back when tinted visors & rain tires had not been invented yet.

Just a suggestion to try to make things safer.