2016 Junior Driver Development Program

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier
City/Town: Calgary

2016 Junior Driver Development Program

Post by Mark »

Hello Everyone,

We will be operating a 3 day Junior Kart Program at Northstar Raceway July 6, 7, 8 (Wednesday - Friday))

Allen Berg is Instructor, Mark Hillier the Operations Coordinator, Frank Sartor the Technical Mentor.

This program will operate 9AM - 4PM daily, with a short break for lunch.

The main purpose of this is to improve driving / safety / awareness for existing CKRC or other affiliated club Jr drivers that are competent in driving their karts at a pace of 1:15 or lower and have completed a minimum of 100 laps driving experience. If your driver has not met this minimum standard it is encouraged that you get your laps in prior to the event and please contact us directly to discuss your individual situation.

There will be ample track time that will include lead / follow sessions, specific on track driving exercises, track walks each day, open lapping sessions and more.

As part of the program one adult needs to be present throughout the program for each family of drivers participating, to be responsible for kart maintenance as well as assist with on track supervision when the karts are running.

Although beverages will be provided each day, for the first 2 days participants will be responsible for their own meal arrangements. We will bring in pizza for lunch on the 3rd day.

Due to the speed and age differences we cannot incorporate Bambino (Kid) karts into this program.

This program will include a hands-on technical session for parents conducted by Jr1 Dad and Class Rep Frank Sartor. Frank will run through the fundamentals of kart prep, information that most newcomers to the sport will find very useful.

The most benefit would be for the newer drivers, however there will be much information that will be shared that will certainly benefit more experienced drivers. We will also need experienced Jr drivers to act as mentors & lead follow drivers.

This program is open to licensed drivers from outside Calgary as well ( i.e. EDKRA) who will also find benefit in this, as well as a chance to learn the track prior to the Alberta Challenge. We will operate this program in the counter clockwise direction.

Cost for this program is $150. All revenues go the CKRC.

Bookings can be made through Motorsports Reg at the following link: http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/jun ... lub-253936

We are certainly open for comments and suggestions, please contact either Allen or Mark by private message.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

holmgrownracing
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Holm
City/Town: ST.ALBERT

Re: 2016 Junior Driver Development Program

Post by holmgrownracing »

How do I contact Mark. I was talking to Allen Berg this weekend at Warburg about the Juniour Dev. program and he suggested I speak with Mark.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Click on my username (CKRCAdmin) to PM me.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Hello folks,

Wednesday is coming up fast so if you are planning on attending and have not already done so, please register ASAP. We don't want to be drawing lines in the sand but we need to plan some things based on the expected number of drivers. Can we put a loose deadline of Monday night and if anyone has a problem meeting that, please PM me.

Allen had been hard at work on the curriculum for this. He has over 30 years of experience doing this and he expects this to be the most comprehensive course of it's type.

New this year will the the use of on-board camera footage as a teaching aid -with emphasis on race starts and passing. Video will help convey concepts in a manner we think will resonate with the kids.

See you Wednesday.