Alex Berg in Shifters

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
allenberg1
First Name: Allen
Last Name: Berg
City/Town: Calgary

Alex Berg in Shifters

Post by allenberg1 »

Hi Folks,

Some of you may already be aware that my son Alexander has been practicing in his shifter kart for a couple of seasons now. Even though there are shifter categories for Junior drivers in USA and other countries, under ASN Canada regulations, Alex was not eligible to race shifter until he is 15, which is still a couple of years away (he is 13).

With ASN no longer in the picture this MAY open up the regulations and possibilities for this - Fred suggested I start a discussion on the forum.

What would be the feeling about Alex competing in the shifter category next year?

FYI Alexander has been racing for 5 seasons now. With an old stock Honda motor on used tires he was running consistent low / mid 54's in decent conditions.

Thank you, Allen

Gerhard8020
First Name: Gerhard
Last Name: Roets
City/Town: Cochrane

Re: Alex Berg in Shifters

Post by Gerhard8020 »

I would be in favour. A consideration is the safety angle, the speeds are high and the weight as well (425lbs at 127 kph), therefore the potential consequence of an accident is different from JR2. I believe that driving shifter calls for a more cautious approach. My question is whether or not we should expect that from a 13 year old.

CrazyRC
First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Carruthers
City/Town: Airdrie

Post by CrazyRC »

I watched Alexander run his shifter last season during practice. I'm in favour of allowing him to race. He's more than competent.

Ryan

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

While I have not seen Alex driving his shifter kart, I don't dispute Alex's ability to do so. The larger issue is disregarding existing objective licensing rules in favour of case by case subjective rulings for drivers and their parents wanting to move up to a higher license classification. The problem with going ahead with this, would be that it sets a precedent that may prevent the club from stopping a lesser qualified driver from making the same request. Having licensing classifications from sanctioning bodies like ASN Canada, takes these kind of decisions out of the hands of individual clubs by providing a ladder and structure for drivers to progress through. There have been relaxations done in the past but a driver moving up from a B license junior class such as Junior 2 Briggs to an A License Briggs Senior class is not a significant change in horsepower or speed. Moving from Rotax Junior (22hp) to Shifter (40+hp) is on a whole different level of speed and decision making.

With the current iteration of ASN Canada changing to who knows what, the underlying insurance carrier will probably require the clubs to follow a very similar form of licensing framework and regulations.
The CKRC would need to follow these to avoid any potential insurance liability issues.So, I am in favour of following rules that protect the club.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Jen and Don
First Name: Jennifer
Last Name: Cheung
City/Town: Sundre

Post by Jen and Don »

John, word for word you said what I was thinking too. Being new to the racing family at Strathmore track, we have accepted the rules that are in place. It blankets everyone and is not based on a case by case individuals ability. I have a very big admiration for Alex and truly believe he is capable of piloting a shifter, but I wonder what grievance will arise later when others might request the same permission, particularly when the next individual clearly doesn't have the same experience and maturity that Alex displays on the track. The club could be in a sticky situation if they discriminate against another driver moving up before his time.
This is my own opinion ( looking in from somewhat of an outsiders point of view) and I do not know of any legal ramifications one way or another as far as insurance liabilities or governing rules and regulations.

Don Gibson

allenberg1
First Name: Allen
Last Name: Berg

Post by allenberg1 »

Thank you everyone for your thoughts & comments