Pushback bumper/nosecone

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
JChan
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Chan
City/Town: Calgary

Pushback bumper/nosecone

Post by JChan »

Just want to get an idea if we should implement the Pushback nose cone for 2019. I was pretty lucky I didn’t get into a wreck this past weekend. But some were not as lucky as some had been hit, driven over, pushed off the track and suffered damage in their karts.

Joe

Rogi
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Rogi

Re: Pushback bumper/nosecone

Post by Rogi »

I'd be in favour of implementing this.

kadler
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Kadler

Post by kadler »

I don't know what this system is. After research.....

https://ekartingnews.com/2017/04/13/pus ... irst-hand/

and

http://www.kartsportnews.com/c16/news_161217-2.html

My opinion is that, I haven't noticed people deliberately 'punting' other karters. Most/all of the wrecks this weekend seemed to be from wheel to wheel problems (Dan / Reinaldo as an example of front wheel to rear wheel). That said, if you nose end someone and there is a penalty associated it might make people more conservative.

One downside to be considered is the lifting of the karts. Many of the battery lifts (and my spring lift) may cause problems with the pushback nose. Not a show stopper.

I'm neutral to a pushback nose. Good discussion topic.

Sounds like the cost is around $30-40 USD if you have a compatible nose. most new noses are compatible, the older styles are not.

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

Like speed limits in school zones, the system is only as good as the enforcement you put behind it.

Every kart needs to be checked after ever heat by....someone.

In principle, if the hit wasn't hard enough to alter the course of the kart ahead (if it DID alter its' course, the race director would look at a penalty) then the hit -regardless of how hard it was- isn't really relevant because it didn't change the race outcome.

So...neat idea but I don't see it changing anything.

PENALTIES, on the other hand, and I mean public ones -not ones quietly handed down from Fred to the offender up in the tower- would be much more effective. Interestingly, I heard there were 'quite a few' penalties handed out this past weekend but I just happened to overhear that; I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise. The perception is that nothing is being done whereas things ARE happening, but no one knows.

I think penalties should be announced over the PA as they are given out.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

kadler
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Kadler

Post by kadler »

I agree with you mark with regards to penalties. They are not well broadcast or understood. I'm not sure if a public announcement is the only fix, but knowing why someone was given a penalty is helpful. I'm all ears as to how to better distribute this.

Also, as an obvious reminder, none of us are future F1 drivers hoping to make a career. So it's not make or break if the 'officiating' isn't always perfect. Its about the sport and the fun. Having been to at least one other track, i think our officiating is pretty darn good in comparison.

I still think push bumpers is an interesting idea, worth discussing, and still neutral towards.

-b

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

Plenty of penalties and warnings were given out over the weekend ... many more than should be at a Club - Club Championship. We could go back to the old penalty books with their 5 copies one of which gets posted to the board but that would be a big step back in progress and needs someone to take the time to write them up. Penalties are not only displayed on the NOTE part of the Scale House TV but also posted on the result sheet (it is your responsibility to check them both ..... see Sup Regs)
What you also need to remember is and to put it into perspective here, in the UK at a club race there will be a minimum of 8 - 10 Race Directors plus 3 in the Video review suite as well as 2 - 3 official observers ... at CKRC we have Me and Wayne.
With every incident on track we expect people to come to the tower to complain and yes we can not say hand on heart we see everything (I invite you all to come and see what we do and its not all racing related ... this past weekend we dealt with children playing by the pond , cars speeding down RR 250 as well as new radio and headset issues along with Pixel light issues and even a Medical emergency for a Dog bite) but what you must understand is whilst you are at the tower complaining or wanting a chat we are not watching the next race and if a conversation lasts over 20 minutes as two did that's 4 heat races or finals we miss. Even after overwhelming video evidence some divers will still not accept penalties !!!!
Its not just Rookies or new guys that get penalties even one of our top racers had his RACE WIN taken from him for contact, but the difference is he is experienced enough and man enough to realize he violated the regulations and accept the penalty without question.
Whats the answer ? well it 100% is not at the officiating end its at you the racers end. Perhaps we take away the Championship and even day trophies so you are racing for fun or maybe instigate a 3 penalties and you are out for 2 races Ban ?
I have asked the Technology group to look into better cameras and instant replay ability as well as finding a way to get cameras and power onto the marshal posts.
The only other way would be to mandate every kart carry a Go Pro and carry a few SD cards which are taken from the camera at the scale, surrendered to me and I have up to the next race meeting to review them all and retrospectively issue penalties and DQ'S for contact or other issues.
Perhaps a driver induced ban of other drivers, if a deputation signed by enough class drivers against another driver is logged to the Executive ???
I am open to a solution to this but as I have stated the Issue needs to be addressed by you guys.