Spec Fuel - why is it Petro Canada?

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Hillbilly
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Sherman
City/Town: Blackie

Spec Fuel - why is it Petro Canada?

Post by Hillbilly »

I don’t know about you guys, but I am tired of paying for 22L to fill a 20L fuel jug at that Petro Canada on the west side of Strathmore.

All grades of Petro Canada fuel now contain ethanol. There is no benefit to using Petro Canada over say COOP.

I am 99% sure that the COOP in Strathmore would donate to the club if we made them our SPEC fuel provider. At least their pumps are accurate, unlike that Petro Canada...
Attachments
1145E7B7-EEB6-49B9-A29C-60A4ED1F2C77.jpeg
1145E7B7-EEB6-49B9-A29C-60A4ED1F2C77.jpeg (999.43 KiB) Viewed 3634 times

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Spec Fuel - why is it Petro Canada?

Post by John Kwong »

In 2014 when we built the track and the economy was still booming, the club was able to secure some sponsorship in the form of gas discount cards and some other items. PetroCanada was also chosen for its ease of getting in/out and visual proximity to the the main road. Currently, we have no ties to PetroCanada and have been using that station out of habit only.
If someone was to procure another source of fuel more beneficial to the club, I am sure a switch would not be an issue.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Martinisounds
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Martinovich

Post by Martinisounds »

I thought race spec was 91 octane. I believe 91 has no ethanol and 94 has ethanol added to boost the octane rating. Ethanol is actually highly sought after for highly tuned turbo cars who will run E85 and making big power. It is true that you need more ethanol per liter.

newson48
First Name: Blake and Mark
Last Name: Newson

Post by newson48 »

The spec is 91, which is the highest they have at the Strathmore PetroCan anyway.
After reading the original post last year, I tested the the 91 at that PetroCan and it contained no Ethanol.

I don't think we need to get too excited about this. If someone secures another sponsorship for the club at another gas station (that is Ethanol free) or if we find that PetroCan starts adding Ethanol to their 91 then maybe we can look around.

It is really easy to test for Ethanol. It just takes a bit of water and a test tube.

Blake
Senior Rotax #48