2021 Tyres - what's your vote?

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.

What's your 2021 VLR tire preference?

Vega (MaxOne Green)
No votes
Mojo (whatever Briggs are running)
46%
Maxxiss (Sport)
54%
LeVanto
No votes
Open - let's let it sort itself out.
No votes

Total votes: 13

kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen
City/Town: Calgary

2021 Tyres - what's your vote?

Post by kolsen »

Hey folks,

There still seems to be some concern/controversy over which brand of rubber we'll be running this year. Here's what I'm proposing:

For the first 3 races we'll run open - whatever you want - choice of Vega (MaxOne Green)/Mojo (whatever Briggs are running)/Maxxiss (Sport)/LeVanto

The only provision to this is that any points earned on Mojos would be invalid towards CKRC RokCup Championship. After the first 3 races, we, as a group can decide whether to restrict to a particular brand, eliminate a specific brand, or continue with the open options.

As Glenn has pointed out, Rok USA has adopted LeVanto as the spec tire, so it makes sense to have it as an option for evaluation.

My hope is that a clear, single option will present itself after a few races, especially if we have head to head competition with the various options.

Please select your preference in the poll so we can make a decision on what we're moving forward with.

Comments/thoughts?

DaveC
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Cameron

Re: 2021 Tyres - what's your vote?

Post by DaveC »

How expensive are these new tires? -- I looked at Acceleration Karting and close to C$300 before shipping does not seem to be 'inexpensive' (more than all the others discussed in the other thread).
How much grip do these new tires have? -- the VLR propaganda says we have a low grip tire for driver comfort and to make skill important.
What defines a 'member' of this class?
Sorry to ask questions but I want to be sure I know what I'm voting for before I do it.
Dave Cameron
Briggs Masters #12

kolsen
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Olsen

Post by kolsen »

Honestly Dave, I don;t know anything about the LeVantos - beyond what you've mentioned. I did notice the price at acceleration, so based on that my preference is still for Maxxiss....they are cost effective, and John Kwong approved.

I would believe the LeVanto would have to be very similar to the Bridgestones, which were way stickier than the Vegas (sorry, the only 2 I can compare)

As far as what defines a member of this class - if you're responsible for putting tires on a VLR, then that's you..

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

Lavento would be too much tire for the VLR .. I drove it on a Briggs at the Enduro and after 10 laps it was getting uncomfortable.. way way too much grip. It would buck out of corners and quite literally I only had to brake for the second part of the infield hairpin.. I was able to get down to the very low 101's with no seat time. I will be testing it in Phoenix on a VLR in a couple of weeks time and hopefully a set of Maxxis will be there too. At the price I would automatically rule those out anyway let alone the grip level probably ripping your frame apart.